Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
cmyoch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Algae Will Not Come Off Of Vinyl Liner

Postby cmyoch » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 17:02

I had a swamp when I first opened the pool. After 2 weeks of hard work, the water is crystal clear and all of my levels are good. PH measured a little low at 6.8 as of this morning. I had my water tested and no metals were present. The entire liner is a light green to brownish color except for about a 3 foot radius in the center which is more normal blue color. I can scratch off the green with my finger nail. I thought this could be mustard algae but from what I read recently, this type of algae brushes off easily. Any suggestions on how to get this off of my liner?

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 18:42

This sometimes happens. For a liner we are limited on treatment systems we can use.

If you wait and keep your chlorine level at 4.0 or above the algae stain will slowly disappear. The use of the pool will greatly assist this process as your feet literally scrub the algae clear.
cmyoch
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cmyoch » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 21:11

Thanks. I hit it with Algae 60 (8 oz yesterday and the other 8 oz this evening) and double shocked it. I'm hoping to get a handle on it soon. I've never had algae this bad to where you can't even brush it off.
Steveo

Stain around perimeter of pool

Postby Steveo » Mon 02 Jul, 2007 22:20

I have the exact same problem. Did you resolve it yet? I have tried just about everything.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 03 Jul, 2007 08:55

What is your CYA level. If it is really high, your chlorine wont be effective enough to kill off algae.

It also could be that it isn't living algae, but just stained from your past algae infestation.
Steve0

levels

Postby Steve0 » Wed 04 Jul, 2007 15:32

free chlorine 2.8
total chlorine 5.9
combined 3.1
ph 7.6
hardness 220
alkalinity 98
cya 75
copper 0
iron 0

That was last weekends numbers. I also added 6lb of Alkalinity up. I have not had it tested since. I took a sample to another pool place and they told me I had copper in my water. I am adding Conquest sequestering agent this weekend. He claims the stain is from the copper. I am not sure the other pool place tested for metals.

Steve

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”