Orangish Brown Cloudy water

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
iowa pool dummy1

Orangish Brown Cloudy water

Postby iowa pool dummy1 » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 09:12

Hi there, I have an 18" round vinyl and we initially had very green water. Once we super chlorinated it it turned a lovely orange brown. We took a water sample in to our pool guy and all the levels were right on FC=5, Ph=8.0, Alk 80ppm. Pool guy determined that we had iron in our water, even though it is municipal. Gave us an Iron Rid product containing polytone. We applied this directly to skimmer while filtering , not even 30 minuted later the flo slowed to virtually nothing. So we have spent the last 2 days backwashing our sand filter every 40-45 minutes to maintain good flow. This also means we have had to fill the pool with more water-meaning we're adding more metals? Initiated this on Saturday afternoon. This Monday morning pool is still not clear and is light brown, what should we do? How do we get the iron out of our pool. Should I add more chlorine-we use bleach. Help, please.
Kari :oops:

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Mon 11 Jun, 2007 22:03

Have your fill water tested. Do you have a heater?
iowa pool dummy1

Orange brown water

Postby iowa pool dummy1 » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 08:41

Our fill water comes directly from a hose from our house-it is city water. The city has it's own water filtration system and we use a softener for our bathing/drinking water. So, no, we haven't tested that water because it's tested daily by the city.We have lived here six years and have never had this problem before. The only heater we use is the sun. I have read that I should try using a mineral treatment that cleans and suspends the iron molecules. I suppose we could use muriatic acid that would knock them to the bottom. But there you have it again, where we would be vacuuming to waste and then having to add more water. Quite the conundrum. :roll:

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”