Iron/ Rust in pool. Can’t get it out.

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Devonstafford
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18x48 above ground. Sfx 1500 cartridge pump.

Iron/ Rust in pool. Can’t get it out.

Postby Devonstafford » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 18:56

I have an Intex style above ground pool. 18 ft round and 48inches tall, holds 6600 gallons. The water we have is full of iron. The water is a yellowish brown and then rust sediment falls to the bottom of the pool. How can I get this out?! I’m at my wits end. We have tried everything.
We tried the bucket trick.. created a filter using polyfil and a 5 gallon bucket. It does help some but not very much. We attached a sock to the output and had that collect rust. Again, helps but still doesn’t solve much. (Continued this process for nearly 3 weeks) Then after that failed, we tried flocculent to cause it all to settle out to the bottom. After that we attempted to vacuum it out. But you can see the rust particles being spit back into the pool by the vacuum. Then, my levels got so out of range and my pool turned such an odd color we drained, cleaned it meticulously and refilled. Same problem. Yellow water and rust sediment at the bottom. We don’t have an option for another water source and the nearest pool store is almost 2 hrs away
Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?! We just began refilling the pool so there are no chemicals in it so far but lots of rust.
Attachments
6F350F89-66A8-4DAF-B484-912207203BDB.jpeg
83375D3E-1A63-4232-A630-32F03183C898.jpeg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Iron/ Rust in pool. Can’t get it out.

Postby Teapot » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 23:51

I think I would move!
You'll have to filter the water, is there a mobile reverse osmosis service in your area? If others have same issues there should be.
If not you'll have to set up a filter on the supply. This is technical so not sure if you would be interested or not.
Devonstafford
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18x48 above ground. Sfx 1500 cartridge pump.

Postby Devonstafford » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 01:25

We live in the middle of nowhere. The nearest town is about 40 miles from us and even then it’s only about 1500 ppl. So we don’t have a lot of options.
I should add this is with the water being filtered through a hose attachment made to filter out things like this.
What’s crazy to me is this is our drinking water! We brought a sample up to our water supplier and the Mayor over the “town” we live in. Both said it was acceptable for drinking water, yet refused to drink it when we asked them to prove it then.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 01:55

Clearly the mayor is a ....
If that was my tap water I would have my own filtration system.
My suggestion is you get a large sand filter, fill it with Dr Dryden's Activate glass media, this is good at iron removal provided you follow some rules.
The flow rate must be correct for the removal of iron (not what is stated for swimming pool filtration) and just as the water is entering the filter add chlorine, that helps the filter collect the iron. You'll need to backwash the filter frequently with that amount of iron in it. That's actually the worst I have seen!
markayash
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15x30 kydney Shaped, Plaster, Pureline VS pump hayward 4030 Cartridge filter

Postby markayash » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 19:40

Teapot wrote:Clearly the mayor is a ....
If that was my tap water I would have my own filtration system.
My suggestion is you get a large sand filter, fill it with Dr Dryden's Activate glass media, this is good at iron removal provided you follow some rules.
The flow rate must be correct for the removal of iron (not what is stated for swimming pool filtration) and just as the water is entering the filter add chlorine, that helps the filter collect the iron. You'll need to backwash the filter frequently with that amount of iron in it. That's actually the worst I have seen!

I had rust stains but nothing that bad..The folks at Jacks magic told me to add Jacks purple stuff and jacks filter fiber to my cartridge filter. First time I used the recommended amount and after 48 hours it captured a lot..2nd time I used 1/3 and let it run for a month and the filters were brown but rinsed off
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 02:37

Always remember Jack's magic is just a sequestrant! Magic is always just an illusion!!
Your chlorine will now be trying to burn out the sequestrant so you use more chlorine and then have to buy more sequestrant. In short the pool store has a hotline to your wallet.
Yes the Polly fibre balls will remove some iron but you'll need to buy a few bags and best to slow down the filtration rate.
Dryden's Activate is fantastic filter media even if you haven't got iron in the water. You only need to buy it once! It's good for the life of your pool.
Chuckster
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16500 Gallon IG Vinyl, Well, Brightline glass media in a Hayward S210T sand filter with 1 HP Hayward Super Pump SP2607X10, Jebao STU Stainless Steel UVC Clarifier (75-watt). Dolphin Nautilus CC Robot. LaMotte 2069 ColorQ Pro 9 Digital Water Test Kit

Postby Chuckster » Sat 13 Jul, 2019 17:40

markayash, I assume you're using a SWG for your sanitizer, and Purple Stuff is the right product for your pool. For Non SWG pools, I use Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff, pH at 7.2 will help lift iron stains, 7.4 maintenance/sequestering. The severity of iron in this pool, is similar to mine, I recently replaced my liner and had water brought in from an outside source. I used to use an unfiltered well tap next to the pool, no more. I top off from evaporation, from the house tap, which goes through our softener system, which includes an iron filter. I haven't noticed Pink Stuff effecting my chlorine levels, and remains effective as long as PS levels are maintained about 10-12 ppm. There are procedures using ascorbic acid for stain removal, used in conjunction with glass filter media, Jack's Magic Filter Stuff and Pink Stuff, I've had great success.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 01:11

Well we have had to solutions to actually removing the iron and one for covering it up and sponsoring Jack, lucky Jack.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”