Tea Pool Water - Iron is a Pain

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
marygreencny
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 23k Gallon 16x32 Oval 3-9 feet.

Tea Pool Water - Iron is a Pain

Postby marygreencny » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 09:41

We had a lot of water missing from our pool this year so we had to fill about half of it with well water - it was dark green, so we shocked it. Chlorine levels are now where they should be. Ph was where it should be.

So our pool is tea color, last year we would fill it some and after a day or two of filtering it would go back to clear. This time however we have added 4 bottles of that scale remover, and while it's gotten slightly lighter, I feel seriously ripped off by the pool place (they tested the water and said it needed 2 bottles of the scale remover ($55) and a bottle of tonic, pool is maybe a shade lighter after $80 there alone.

Worse, I was brushing the sides of the pool and the brush fell off, I can't even see it, so I dont know how I will get it out.

I'm whining, I'm sorry. I bought The Art of Pool Care last year and after that our pool was great all summer, I thought I knew what I was doing. How do I fix this? TY all so much and I'm sorry if this is a repeat I didn't see the exact issue elsewhere.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Tea Pool Water - Iron is a Pain

Postby Teapot » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:10

Ok, nothing is unsolvable. Have you got a decent tester and not dip strips. Iron can be removed so that's all positive
Please post your water test results and if possible as much detail about your pool.
Cornholio
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Cornholio » Fri 21 Jun, 2019 18:38

marygreencny wrote:Worse, I was brushing the sides of the pool and the brush fell off, I can't even see it, so I dont know how I will get it out.

Put your trunks on and dive on in! :lol:
jfowlerpa
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 vinyl in ground basic rectangle. DE filter, 2hp pump, propane heater, Polaris 280 cleaner w/pump.

Postby jfowlerpa » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 11:01

I just dealt with iron turning my pool green. My pool is 20x40x8.5ft vinyl inground. I have a 2yr old DE filter. We used two 32oz bottles of metal remover from our local pool store called Sparkle Conquest. We mixed one bottle with 5 gals of pool water and then dumped into pool around the edges. We continues to run the filter. After 2 hrs we stopped the filter, opened it and cleaned the grids. They were fully coated with bright red rust color on the DE. We had to pull the grids out of the filter to get at them with the hose. Grids went back in and started filter again. Added DE, put 2nd bottle in and repeated the process. After another hour the green was gone and water was slightly cloudy. Cleaned filter grids again, this time they were an orange color, not bright rust red. Put filter back together and in an hour the water was sparkling clear.

The backstory... I created the problem myself. My propane heater is broken so I decided to rig a solar heater by putting 200ft of garden hose on my roof. Problem was finding a pump strong enough to push water 14ft up to the roof. I purchased a transfer pump that was cast iron. I noticed the water had a rust color when I would start the pump, so I would run the water into the grass for a minute or two. This went on for a month whenever we got some sunny days. Water was still crystal clear. On July 3rd @ 7pm, the day prior to having a family picnic with the pool as the center of activity, I put 2 scoops of PH-Plus into the deep end of the pool. Within 5 minutes I watched my entire pool go from clear to emerald green. Not entirely clear how, but the PH-Plus must have caused a chemical reaction to oxidize the iron that was suspended in the water. I was in a panic until I found answers on this and other forums. We originally tried pool shock but that seemed to just turn the green water a little more brown. Luckily we had a great day in the pool on the 4th, but now I need to figure out how to increase the PH without turning the water green, or maybe I have to do it anyway and just plan to repeat the process until the iron is entirely out of the water. Oh, and the cast iron pump is obviously out as my solar heater.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 05 Jul, 2019 15:57

Iron doesn't make a pool green, copper does.
Metal remover doesn't remove metal or anything else it sequesters it and the chlorine burns out the sequestrant, welcome to the world of being pool stored!
pH+ causes metals to come out of suspension, acid reduces the metals back to a soluble form.
Post some water figure and lets take a look.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”