Struggling to correct discolored pool water

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, Sand Filter, Dolphin E10 cleaning robot

Struggling to correct discolored pool water

Postby dbdbdb » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 02:16

Hi all

I have a new-to-me 60,000 litre in-ground vinyl pool. My pool water turned a light emerald green after shocking with dichlor. The water is crystal clear - you can see the bottom of the deep end. Chlorine levels are still high from the shocking and are not dropping quickly.

I suspect that copper has entered the pool water due to the combination of low PH over a long period of time and a copper heat exchanger.

Yesterday I purchased 5 litres of "Metal Ex" (HEDP). I added 2.5 litres and ran the filter for 24 hours. I was really expecting this to fix the green hue but nothing has changed :(

Can someone more knowledgable than me help me out? I am considering draining and refilling the pool but don't want to damage the 20 year old liner.

Thanks

David

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Struggling to correct discolored pool water

Postby Teapot » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 10:36

Hi, as I have said many times you'll have to get used to the lies told in the pool industry. metal out (and all others EX etc) do not remove anything! They just bind to the metal to prevent staining. The chlorine meanwhile is trying to break down the HEDP so you use more chlorine and then buy more HEDP its a circle and the only winner is the pool shop.

Copper is much harder to remove but some success has been had with the CuLator but at a price as you may need several.
Want some good news? You wont get alage! so if you can live with it just carry on and as you over winter and top up it will dilute.

PS I like your pool, two skimmers on the long side, nice copings. Maybe a jet wash of the rest of the terrace would finish the look
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, Sand Filter, Dolphin E10 cleaning robot

Postby dbdbdb » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 11:25

Thanks for the response Teapot. I'll definitely get to the jet washing soon :)

I'm in Europe so it will be diffiuclt to get hold of CuLator. Do you know what the active ingredient is as an alternative product may be available over here?

Will the green hue reduce as chlorine levels drop? If not, is a drain and refill the only real option left to get the pool back to blue?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 14:03

Hi, where abouts are you in Europe? I hop back and forth from France and the UK. I can see via the suppliers I deal with if they stock it or similar. It's based on anionic polymer so it attracts the +copper and binds it in the polymer.
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dbdbdb » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 14:38

I am in the Netherlands but also frequently pop over to the UK
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 14:42

OK, I can phone around on Monday to see if I can find a supplier. My friend was a zeolite dealer and I was told, not actually tried this that zeolite can extract copper but the pH needs to be a bit lower than you may like to go and you'll need to partially close off the return valves to reduce the flow rate considerably.
I would be interested to know the copper level?
dbdbdb
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dbdbdb » Sat 31 Aug, 2019 02:08

I'll try to order a test kit to get some numbers.

Do you have a view on my other questions?
Will the green hue reduce as chlorine levels drop? If not, is a drain and refill the only real option left to get the pool back to blue?

Thanks again for your help. :thumbup:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 02 Sep, 2019 00:54

Maybe, let us know.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”