Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
wambuhl
I'm new here
I'm new here

green water

Postby wambuhl » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 18:46

I have an above ground pool,16x48 round.I started the season with Baquacil, but had nothing but trouble. After the pool developed the second round of algae, I had had enough. It had been almost a month since I added my dose of Baquacil oxidizer, and the test strip said nill. I used X-change to get rid of any residual Baq, then used OxyBrite. I then shocked the pool, but the chlorine level was still low. The next day, I checked the levels, still low. So I added liquid chlorine bleach, about 2 gallons. Today, when I had the water tested, these were the results:

TA:190
pH:6.7
CYA:0
TH:200
TC:5.7
FC:5.7

I just finished vacuuming with a syphon, as I don't have any capability of vacuuming to waste. I brushed the walls, and retested the levels.The chlorine levels are back to 0, so I added a gallon of liquid bleach.

The water is green. The man at the pool store said I couldn't have algae with chlorine levels so high. So why is the water still green?
above ground intex pool, about 5500 gallons.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: green water

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 20:39

wambuhl wrote:I have an above ground pool,16x48 round.I started the season with Baquacil, but had nothing but trouble. After the pool developed the second round of algae, I had had enough. It had been almost a month since I added my dose of Baquacil oxidizer, and the test strip said nill. I used X-change to get rid of any residual Baq, then used OxyBrite. I then shocked the pool, but the chlorine level was still low. The next day, I checked the levels, still low. So I added liquid chlorine bleach, about 2 gallons. Today, when I had the water tested, these were the results:

TA:190
pH:6.7
CYA:0
TH:200
TC:5.7
FC:5.7

I just finished vacuuming with a syphon, as I don't have any capability of vacuuming to waste. I brushed the walls, and retested the levels.The chlorine levels are back to 0, so I added a gallon of liquid bleach.

The water is green. The man at the pool store said I couldn't have algae with chlorine levels so high. So why is the water still green?
above ground intex pool, about 5500 gallons.

You have multiple issues.

1 - You have -0- CYA so no matter how much chlorine you put in, it will all be gone after a few hours in the sun. Add CYA to 30ppm. This is important as yoi need to maintain your chlorine levels to get anywhere.

2 - Your ph is very low, BUT your TA is very high which is interesting. Is there any way you can aerate the water to bring up the ph? (you don't want to raise your TA any more...it's too high). Bubbles, a fountain, or even turn your return eyeball up so it "gurgles". After the ph is up you will want to add acid to bring down the TA.

3 - With such good chlorine levels, the green could indicate the presence of metals in the water. Get a bottle of Metal sequestrant at the pool store to assist.

Continue to run your pump and filter 24/7 while you do this...the water needs to be filtered to clear.

Continue to post your test numbers...and hang in there!.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”