or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
heidir
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24" round above ground , waterways premium blue fliter and pump

stained pool ladder

Postby heidir » Wed 24 Jun, 2020 18:48

We have had a 24" round above groundpool since 2007. The pool ladder and skimmer face plate have become stained yellow. I used an algaecide , algaecide plus by E-Z clor ,for the 1st time ever this year.Poured in half the bottle, as instructed by pool store and then 4 oz every week also as instructed. Now the ladder is stained an ugly yellow. Contacted E-Z clor , and of course they said its not from their product, but must be that my pool water has iron in it. But we had the water tested and it was perfect. My question is, how do i clean it?! https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: stained pool ladder

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 01:43

Try cleaning with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) if it's iron it should clean up
heidir
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24" round above ground , waterways premium blue fliter and pump

Postby heidir » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 11:43

I crushed up some vitamin c tablets in my ninja, sprinkled it on the ladder , which I had taken out of the pool, and it worked like magic! Thank you
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 25 Jun, 2020 16:33

So you have iron in your water, you may want to put a sequestrant in the pool to stop further staining
You can buy powder online and put in a sock, wet it and rub over the ladder
You can't necessary trust pool store readings
Alpeace82
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground vinyl with a filterskimmer1500plus 18x52 in size with steel frame Coleman brand

Postby Alpeace82 » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 06:53

:o if you are having trouble with pool staining on ladder/filter/skimmer/floater it is most likely from suntan oil/lotion sunblock being used in pool by daily swimmers. Some solutions to the problem is to make sure no one entering the pool gets in until lotions are absorbed and dry on skin. Also sunblock sprays are oil based so just use lotions only. U can also place a magic eraser in floater or skimmer and replace it weekly. I wipe out my skimmer with a magic eraser daily. Also shocking your pool absorbs oils as well but only shock every 5-7 days. Keeping your pools ph and alkaline levels maintained will help cut back on the amount you have to shock or clean. I use arm and hammers pool tablets they are awesome 1 arm and hammer tablet plus 1 chlorine in floater once a week maintains my pool great!! I have no problems with algae because I put 1 ounce of Algaecide in every week. Also making sure swimmers shower before entering pool makes a huge difference in the quality of your water.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 07 Jul, 2020 10:33

Alpeace82 wrote::o if you are having trouble with pool staining on ladder/filter/skimmer/floater it is most likely from suntan oil/lotion sunblock being used in pool by daily swimmers. Some solutions to the problem is to make sure no one entering the pool gets in until lotions are absorbed and dry on skin. Also sunblock sprays are oil based so just use lotions only. U can also place a magic eraser in floater or skimmer and replace it weekly. I wipe out my skimmer with a magic eraser daily. Also shocking your pool absorbs oils as well but only shock every 5-7 days. Keeping your pools ph and alkaline levels maintained will help cut back on the amount you have to shock or clean. I use arm and hammers pool tablets they are awesome 1 arm and hammer tablet plus 1 chlorine in floater once a week maintains my pool great!! I have no problems with algae because I put 1 ounce of Algaecide in every week. Also making sure swimmers shower before entering pool makes a huge difference in the quality of your water.

You are not on the ball continually using stabilised chlorine
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Algaecide isn't necessary in a properly chlorinated pool
Don't use copper algaecide as the effects aren't always desirable. Use a Polyquat 60
(Any brand as long as the ingredients are "Poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride" at 60% concentration.)
Chlorine / CYA Chart

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”