or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
TwoShayh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 oval, Doughboy above ground

Metals issue

Postby TwoShayh » Wed 24 May, 2023 21:01

Hi! We have an 32x16 Doughboy above ground pool and have had a metals issue for the last couple of years. We have well water, which I know is heavy on iron, and constantly have metal on the bottom of our pool. It oxidizes well and drops to the bottom so our water is never discolored and our chemicals are always fairly balanced, but I am constantly having to vacuum it out on waste, which requires refilling with the well water and it’s a whole vicious cycle. We will develop little orange dusty spots on the bottom which will spread slowly across the bottom and up the sides in a matter of days. If left for more than a few days there will be little rust stains. We tried adding an RV filter to our hose, which seems to do nothing, and I spend tons of $ on metal out and flocculant products but nothing works for more than a week—as new water will need to be added. Any other ideas?? I am really dreading this pool season…

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Metals issue

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 25 May, 2023 02:23

To actually remove the metals rather than sequestration which is poor as you know you need something the metals are attracted to and pre filter the water going into the pool for top ups via another filter. In the past and actually still now, I use Dr Drydens AFM filter media as this can actually attract the iron because of its opposite electrical charge. This is even used by municiple water companies here in the UK. That said there is a much simpler way that people are achieving iron removal, I have not done this personally but others have with good results. Polyballs are a plastic cotton wool ball you can put in the skimmer or into a filter and they remove iron as simply as that. Others use the polyester filling you can buy for cushions etc with the same results. I would try that in the first incidents and find another filter you could run your top up well water through before it goes into the pool. Just remember, slower filtration is better filtration you dont need a big pump or flow, take things easy for best results. Partially close a return valve to slow the flow if you havent a variable speedpump.s
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
TwoShayh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 oval, Doughboy above ground

Postby TwoShayh » Thu 25 May, 2023 15:29

Thanks for your reply, I am willing to try anything and everything! I am not familiar with the type of balls you are referring to, could you provide an example or photo?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 26 May, 2023 02:04

Thats why I suggested the polyfibre furniture stuffing as it probably more widely available.
https://blog.intheswim.com/filterballs- ... ally-work/

Forget the more powerful return jet stuff that is something you dont need, slow the pump if possible
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”