Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Shaune
I'm new here
I'm new here

softened well water

Postby Shaune » Wed 08 Aug, 2007 08:50

My little 16" above ground pool was filled with well water, but the water was run through a water softening system first. It's still brown after 24 hrs of filtering, although a little bit clearer than at first. Could this still be iron? What other metals/minerals cause brown water and how on earth do I get it clear? I'd like to enjoy it at least once before summer's gone! Ph levels are within normal ranges,ditto chlorine (it wasn't brown till I added it to the water which is why I thought of iron). Any thought on this? Thanks.

Love someone in spite of their flaws instead of hating them because of them.
fatybabe
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby fatybabe » Wed 29 Aug, 2007 21:41

Not that i know of. It might just be a problem of fine soil particules suspended in the water?

Anyhow u can try using a carbon filter instead that would defintaely help.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 03 Sep, 2007 16:11

What else have you added to the water?

My pool is also filled with softened well water, and no iron problems here.

Keep in mind however that your water softener is designed to cycle every few days based on water usage in your house not filling a pool!

If you run 8000 gallons through a water softener thats programmed for a few hundred gallons a day for example, most of the water in your pool wont be softened.

If you do use your softener to fill your pool, be sure to do a manual recharge that night.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”