Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
regrolen
I'm new here
I'm new here

brownish stuff on bottom of pool

Postby regrolen » Fri 07 Sep, 2007 16:50

My vinyl lined pool is 15 yrs old. it has a heldor truflo sand filter w/a sp-712 hayward top mount vari-flo valve & a hayward 1 hp self priming pump. the filter is 15 yrs old & the pump is 10 yrs old. the valve is brand new. the pool holds 18,000 gallons. we recently switched our sand to zeobrite. we are on well water & the hardness was over 1500. it is now down to around 400 - 500. there is a substance that continues to appear in the bottom of our pool. at first, we thought it was sand, but after countless hours of research online, we realize that it's not. it's light brown in color & dissipates into the water when it's touched. we have tried vacuuming it to waste, we replaced the valve & put a brand new standpipe o-ring on it. we took the laterals & standpipe to a pool supply company because we didn't see anything wrong w/it. they couldn't find anything either. we've t ried everything to no avail. when we opened the pool this yr, it was full of algae. it took us about 1 1/2 weeks to get that cleared up. we are using green to clean, phos free, both chlorine & non-chlorine shock. our ph & alkanity are fine. we were having problems with cloudiness & began to use a clarifier. on one site i read that clarifier can cause issues w/the zeobrite. is this true? the stuff in the bottom is coming out of the jets. it's really bad when we first turn the pump on. it comes out milky looking & also throws the pine needles back into the pool. our next step is rip up the concrete. is there anything we can do before that happens?[/quote]

mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mr_clean » Fri 07 Sep, 2007 22:56

you can add some DE powder to your filter through the skimmer to see if it helps catch what seems to be dust the sand is not keeping in.
I suggest you get a skimmer sock to help catch pine needles.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”