who's to blame for my pool staining?

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Annie

who's to blame for my pool staining?

Postby Annie » Wed 14 May, 2008 12:46

I have a saltwater marbelite finish pool. After 1yr of installation we started getting small patches of brown staining on the sides, and at the bottom. The pool company told us it was a drainage issue, and that water was seeping in from the ground around the pool, and it was our fault. We closed the pool down for winter, but when reopened it was really badly stained. we had to sand it down and acid wash. Can u suggest what the problem is? I just dont believe it can be water seeping in through the sides of the pool.

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Wed 14 May, 2008 20:02

Water should not be seeping in through the sides of the pool- drainage issue or not. IF water is indeed seeping in through the sides you have structural issues but you would think you would be losing water on really dry days. I have never heard of this. Sounds like crap to me. Brown stains COULD be iron in the water. Iron causes black to brown stains, especially if your pH is high. You could try testing for that. Test the pool water AND your fill water.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
annie

Postby annie » Thu 15 May, 2008 08:30

i appreciate that. kind of confirms what i was thinking. Shudn't the pool company keep an eye on the PH levels. Isnt that what i'm paying them for! i'm fed up with them sending students who hust keep pouring chemicals in when they dont know what they're doing.
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Thu 15 May, 2008 13:26

These stains can also come out of the water when the pool is superchlorinated. Do you notice anything happening after the pool had been shocked? Yes it is the pool companies responsibility to keep your pH in check. Most companies dont check water chemistry during off seasons though. If you could post a complete set of your chemistry readings it could be helpful in determining the problem. I would get a test kit yourself and compare your numbers to the companies. I use the Taylor K 2006.
APSP Certified Service Pro

Jandy Tech School

Pentair Tech Training

Raypak Heater School

5 yrs experience
jdlloyd1183

saltwater brown stains

Postby jdlloyd1183 » Fri 16 May, 2008 02:19

Minerals present in salt that you use can cause brown stains, and so can the electrolytic cell you have that prdouces chlorine for you from sat. Make sure to use high purity food grade salt, and get in the habit of using a sequestering agent at least once a month to help prevent staining. Be sure not to use any but NATURAL CHEMISTRY"S METAL FREE, as this contains no phosphates, which wil coat your cell and reduce its efficency. POOL TOOL also makes a sacraficial anode skimmer weight to take the brunt of the electrolysis,which should keep that from browning the PVC in the pool returns, and skimmers. Keep in mind that salt generators produce a by product that naturally raises the pH of the pool water, causing precipitation( colored water, stains) of metals and minerals in the water. Have them check for metals, and make sure to use the METAL FREE I mentioned above... hope this helps just ask if you need to now how to treat any existing stains.......
jdlloyd1183

Postby jdlloyd1183 » Fri 16 May, 2008 02:23

oh yeah, dump the pool care program, take it from someone who does it for a living for a pool company, most places test water one week, and adjust the water off those readings a week later..... you can take care of the chemisty easily with a litte instruction... ill be more than happy to help you with this just ask
Annie

Postby Annie » Sun 18 May, 2008 14:57

You've all been incredibly helpful.
Thankyou so much. :D

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”