aqua blue staining

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
dobrien

aqua blue staining

Postby dobrien » Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:17

We had our pool resurfaced 16 months ago and hired a pool service to maintain weekly. We have not had any problems until recently. We have aqua blue staining on all of the surfaces and the pool company is telling us it is not their fault and that it is probably being caused by the heater. We had our pool resurfaced originally because of improper maintenance before we moved in and hydration staining. We handed over the pool to the maintenance company immediately after the resurface was finished and we have not done anything ourselves. They also suggested that the staining could be from the acid wash they thought we had 16 months ago. When I explained that there was not an acid wash done the story changed to the staining being caused because we should have had an acid wash after the resurface. If we needed an acid wash, shouldn't they have told us then? Would this staining be their responsibility to correct?

Re: aqua blue staining

Postby Guest » Thu 18 Sep, 2008 23:13

They are correct that the stains probably came from the heater (heat exchanger) but the cause of those stains would be an over acid condition in the pool.

Are they using chlorine tablets in the pool? If so, are they in the skimmer or a floater.

After a replaster you don't need an acid wash.

Aqua blue stains are copper sulfate stains. That comes from the heater and as I said caused by an over acid condition in the pool.

dobrien wrote:We had our pool resurfaced 16 months ago and hired a pool service to maintain weekly. We have not had any problems until recently. We have aqua blue staining on all of the surfaces and the pool company is telling us it is not their fault and that it is probably being caused by the heater. We had our pool resurfaced originally because of improper maintenance before we moved in and hydration staining. We handed over the pool to the maintenance company immediately after the resurface was finished and we have not done anything ourselves. They also suggested that the staining could be from the acid wash they thought we had 16 months ago. When I explained that there was not an acid wash done the story changed to the staining being caused because we should have had an acid wash after the resurface. If we needed an acid wash, shouldn't they have told us then? Would this staining be their responsibility to correct?
dobrien

aqua blue staining

Postby dobrien » Sat 20 Sep, 2008 00:39

I have not seen them use tablets. I see him put liquid chlorine in every week and he leaves a note not to use the pool for 24 hours. They claim to use black magic? for staining every week as well, but I haven't seen them use that in person.

Any suggestions you could give would be appreciated. All the pool maintenance man keeps saying is that it isn't his fault.

Postby Guest » Sun 21 Sep, 2008 18:33

I'm not familiar with "black magic." I assume it's a sequestering agent to prevent staining.

I would suggest getting your fill water tested at a pool store. Have them check for copper levels. Have them also test your pool water to see what the chemical balance looks like.

Here are the ways I know of to get copper staining in the pool.

1. Acidic condition in pool. Water reacts with copper in heat exchanger. Not your fault.

2. Copper in fill water. Chemical balance in pool gets out of whack and copper falls out of solution. Not your fault.

3. Copper algaecide used in pool. Not your fault.

4. Flow rate through heater is too fast, stripping copper from heat exchanger (not likely). No blame here. Could be a problem in the heater bypass or too large a pump for the system.

From my experience, copper staining in a pool is almost always due to low pH. Low pH is a chemical balance problem which is not something you caused.

If the service people are saying it's not their fault, are they telling you what caused it? They should be able to tell you likely causes.

dobrien wrote:I have not seen them use tablets. I see him put liquid chlorine in every week and he leaves a note not to use the pool for 24 hours. They claim to use black magic? for staining every week as well, but I haven't seen them use that in person.

Any suggestions you could give would be appreciated. All the pool maintenance man keeps saying is that it isn't his fault.
dobrien

aqua staining

Postby dobrien » Sun 28 Sep, 2008 22:07

Thank you so much for your help. They tried a chemical treatment last week but it did not do anything for the staining. They are going to drain the pool and acid wash tomorrow. They are recommending a salt water system. How do you feel about them and if you like them what do you recommend? Do you have any idea what a fair price for the system and installation would be? We have about 14K gallons of water.

Again thanks so much for your help!

Re: aqua staining

Postby Guest » Tue 30 Sep, 2008 16:46

Happy to help.

I don't have any experience with salt water chlorine generators but I do like the idea. From all I've read on them, they work well.

As far as the cost goes, hard to say. There are lots of different brands. I would get a price from them and then check on the internet for a price for the unit they plan to install.

They should be able to match any price you find on the internet for the unit as they get it at wholesale price. Price of labor depends a lot on what your current system looks like and how much plumbing is involved.

More than one estimate is always a good idea.

Good luck with it.

Tim

dobrien wrote:Thank you so much for your help. They tried a chemical treatment last week but it did not do anything for the staining. They are going to drain the pool and acid wash tomorrow. They are recommending a salt water system. How do you feel about them and if you like them what do you recommend? Do you have any idea what a fair price for the system and installation would be? We have about 14K gallons of water.

Again thanks so much for your help!
dobrien

aqua blue staining

Postby dobrien » Thu 02 Oct, 2008 12:14

Thank you for your advice. I do have another question. After the acid wash on monday, we filled the pool and did not turn anything on. Today the gas company came to look at the heater. They determined that the heater exchange is damaged and the cause is chemical or water quality damage. He relayed this message to the pool company who has been maintaining my pool. The maintenance company now says that it still isn't his responsibility because when the pool was resurfaced 17-18 months ago, they would have put acid in the pool water afterwards and they probably did not bypass the heater and so the problem was caused then. My question is, if this was caused back then by the pool resurface company, shouldn't the maintenance company testing the chemicals have known back then and each week following that there was a chemical inbalance because of the damaged heater exchange? I am being quoted 2000.00 to fix the heater or 2600.00 to replace the heater and the maintenance company has denied any wrong doing.

Postby Guest » Fri 03 Oct, 2008 11:37

Yes, if there was an overacid condition in the pool the maintenance company should have seen it.

When a pool is resurfaced and refilled a startup procedure is followed. Therre is the standard startup where the equipment is run and the pool brushed and chemicals adjusted.

Another startup procedure that can be used is called an acid startup. For this one the equipment is NOT turned on.

Either way you don't have to bypass the heater.

Somewhere along the line the pH got too low and damaged the heater. Like you said, if it happened right after the resurfacing, the maintenance company should have seen it.

Very doubtful the plasterers would drop the pH too low unless they were doing an acid startup and someone turned the equipment on by mistake.

What type of heater is being replaced? Looks like a high price to me.

dobrien wrote:Thank you for your advice. I do have another question. After the acid wash on monday, we filled the pool and did not turn anything on. Today the gas company came to look at the heater. They determined that the heater exchange is damaged and the cause is chemical or water quality damage. He relayed this message to the pool company who has been maintaining my pool. The maintenance company now says that it still isn't his responsibility because when the pool was resurfaced 17-18 months ago, they would have put acid in the pool water afterwards and they probably did not bypass the heater and so the problem was caused then. My question is, if this was caused back then by the pool resurface company, shouldn't the maintenance company testing the chemicals have known back then and each week following that there was a chemical inbalance because of the damaged heater exchange? I am being quoted 2000.00 to fix the heater or 2600.00 to replace the heater and the maintenance company has denied any wrong doing.
dobrien

aqua blue staining

Postby dobrien » Wed 08 Oct, 2008 15:58

One more question. In the midst of all of this I had a leak detection company in to find my pool leaks. He was curious as to why the heater was disconnected and after telling him my story he told me that if I ran a hose through the heater and the water came out clear, that I don't need to replace my heater and that I should reconnect it and use it. He said that all heaters have this problem eventually because of water and copper. He said even if I get a new heater, over time the same thing will happen. It just happened much quicker this time because of poor chemical balance. He said if I keep my chemicals in check, it should be fine. He also suggested that I use a weekly sequestering agent. I am going to be maintaining my pool my self now since using a company got me into this mess and I am trying to get it "right". Does this all sound ok?

Postby Guest » Wed 08 Oct, 2008 22:47

Getting clear water through the heater really doesn't tell you if there is copper coming through. He is right that over time if you have a copper heat exchanger you're likely to have some copper finding it's way to the pool.

Newer heaters don't always use a copper heat exchanger.

If the heat exchanger hasn't started leaking I would probably use the heater. Using a sequestering agent is good advice.

Many people use trichlor tablets to chlorinate their pool. Many put them right in the skimmer basket. Probably the number one reason for a chemical imbalance in the heater and thus stains.

So, just my long winded way of saying I agree with the detection company.
dobrien wrote:One more question. In the midst of all of this I had a leak detection company in to find my pool leaks. He was curious as to why the heater was disconnected and after telling him my story he told me that if I ran a hose through the heater and the water came out clear, that I don't need to replace my heater and that I should reconnect it and use it. He said that all heaters have this problem eventually because of water and copper. He said even if I get a new heater, over time the same thing will happen. It just happened much quicker this time because of poor chemical balance. He said if I keep my chemicals in check, it should be fine. He also suggested that I use a weekly sequestering agent. I am going to be maintaining my pool my self now since using a company got me into this mess and I am trying to get it "right". Does this all sound ok?

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”