Quartzon Pool (6 month's) old with light grey patches

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
suz

Postby suz » Fri 09 Jul, 2010 06:38

I have a quartzon pool which is 2 yrs old and has blue grey patches or sploges covering the base of the pool surface creeping up the sides.

I have been trying to resolve this issue for over a year now and have been told it is purely Ph related. I have endeavoured to keep the Ph at 7.2 but the markings remain.

I have spoken with Quartzon and they recommend that I give the pool an acid bath. Meaning lower the Ph to 6.2 for 24 hours.

Has anyone else done this? Does it work? How is the best way to go about it?

John Murray Caringbah

Postby John Murray Caringbah » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 18:33

I have a Quartzon pool that started exhibiting white(cacification ) spots almost immediately it was filled , by end of summer , it looked like pool had measles. During winter it was re-acid washed& refilled& rebalanced , almost immediately white spots reappeared. Quartzon rep said could be Quartzon not laid properly, leading to microporosity & rising ph. I had pool balanced aprox every 2-3 weeks & white spots still form. After initial acid wash & refilling pool, white spots started to form but not as many as 1st time round. Any solutions?
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 23 Aug, 2010 22:28

John Murray Caringbah wrote:I have a Quartzon pool that started exhibiting white(cacification ) spots almost immediately it was filled , by end of summer , it looked like pool had measles. During winter it was re-acid washed& refilled& rebalanced , almost immediately white spots reappeared. Quartzon rep said could be Quartzon not laid properly, leading to microporosity & rising ph. I had pool balanced aprox every 2-3 weeks & white spots still form. After initial acid wash & refilling pool, white spots started to form but not as many as 1st time round. Any solutions?

you may need to utilize the warranty your contractor gave you with is work on the re-surfacing of the pool in order to resolve this issue. I would have him come out and see what he says about it.
Steve of Harrington Park

Postby Steve of Harrington Park » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 20:31

swimnsaveusa wrote:
John Murray Caringbah wrote:I have a Quartzon pool that started exhibiting white(cacification ) spots almost immediately it was filled , by end of summer , it looked like pool had measles. During winter it was re-acid washed& refilled& rebalanced , almost immediately white spots reappeared. Quartzon rep said could be Quartzon not laid properly, leading to microporosity & rising ph. I had pool balanced aprox every 2-3 weeks & white spots still form. After initial acid wash & refilling pool, white spots started to form but not as many as 1st time round. Any solutions?

you may need to utilize the warranty your contractor gave you with is work on the re-surfacing of the pool in order to resolve this issue. I would have him come out and see what he says about it.

I've had enough of this Quartzon rubbish.My pool is 2.5 yrs old amd i've had nothing but problems with Quartzon.As soon as the pool was filled i had white spots appearing almost all over the shallow end of the pool.I put in the recommended amount of "cal-stop" all the time. Constant scale over the salt cell. Nobody wants to help!!! They always try to blame the ph level,which is absolute BS.I manually test the water every few days in summer and have my pool shop test it weekly,and everything is always right.It's the crap surface that Quartzon is, that is the problem.I manually have to get in the pool and pick the spots off.Didn't get a pool for all this trouble.
One bit of advice for any potential pool buyer,DON'T USE QUARTZON!!!!!!. But if you have nothing better to do and have plenty of money,install it,as it will keep you busy.
Allen G myerson

Postby Allen G myerson » Sat 08 Jan, 2011 23:12

Steve of Harrington Park,

Your chemistry is off. Post the following information and I will be able to advise you better.

pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric acid
Salt
Temperature
catzbat

Postby catzbat » Sun 09 Jan, 2011 02:12

why does light gray plaster is turning to white patches on plaster ?

Postby Guest » Wed 26 Jan, 2011 22:59

I have a quartzone pool and it has been a disaster from day one. Dont even go there is my suggestion but if you want to see how bad it looks and you live in sydney I am happy to show you. email ido@bigpond.net.au for an appointment.
J from Adelaide

Postby J from Adelaide » Fri 28 Jan, 2011 02:38

I had quartzon put in 5yrs ago....yeah like many others I have been very disappointed. I wish I had just resurfaced with marblesheen! It stains easily and does not maintain an even smooth surface. Parts of it calcify and rough the surface off. Certainly would not recommend it. Be careful of some pool shops...they may be on commission to promote it!! Stick clear!
kiwi

Postby kiwi » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 17:31

What is Quartzon lets be honest it is a trade name for a product that has very little Quartz in it lots of Oxides to provide a colour, it is pre mixed and cement is added, what is the shelf life of the product at the time application.
The blotchy looking finisishe are far to common for such an exspencive product and dont forget you have to add there costly Cal Stop every 6 months. Go to poolquartz for the ultimate 100% Quartz plaste :thumbup: :thumbup:
Quigon

Postby Quigon » Mon 09 May, 2011 23:51

Hi Folks,

Check out this technical report which is one of the best I have found on the subjects raised on this thread.

http://www.cmc-concrete.com/CMC%20Publi ... 20ICMA.pdf

It makes interesting reading!

Anon!
dave the pool guy

Postby dave the pool guy » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 02:27

do not use quatzon, i'm a pool guy and I hate the stuff, you guys are wasting your money. best way to attack this problem is strip the pool out and choose a different surface, choose tile or NZ pebbles.
Snowman 21

Postby Snowman 21 » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 20:31

Had a pool fitted with quartz on 3months ago and like many of your posts the pool started to go blotchy after a few weeks.pool company didn't add cal-stop,quartzon rep has had a look, have now added cal stop and 6ltrs of acid which will remove the stains(they said) no difference.pool company are now playing the water is at fault card( water is tested by a pool shop every week to keep ph perfect).so I feel this could turn in to a long drawn out battle over a new pool that looks like a stained coffee cup
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Wed 05 Oct, 2011 15:54

When you ask for a remedy please at least include your location.
Quartzon is an australian product, though it was registered here in the US in March of 1999.
It looks similar to the DiamondBrite product.
Treatment with acid is best done immediately after filling the pool on the fresh application.
You can find more in detail procedure and also helpful comments in the archive under my login name.
alexaki
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Quatrzon

Postby alexaki » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 17:40

I have had a new quartzon pool for 15 months now...NO issues as mentioned here....I maintain my water balance perfectly....PH 7-4-7.4 TA 100-140, CH 200-250, CYA 35 I also brush the surface every month...so far so good!..I dont think the maintenance on Quatrzon is any higher than other pool surfaces
RoyInAdelaide

Postby RoyInAdelaide » Mon 24 Oct, 2011 21:48

I had a calypso Blue Quartzon pool installed 3 years ago and last summer started having a black stain around base of pool. No amount of brushing would remove it. used ZedZed60 (lots of it) , Cal-Stop and keep levels spot on but can't move it . Only option is to drain and try acid washing - What if that doesnt work ? . I sympathise with everyone on here - I feel we have been sold a dud but no-one admits the responsibility. Our old marblesheen was easier to maintain and it was 20 years old.

If anyone has any ideas ........

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”