"Sparkling" Green Pool Water

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Jeff Miami

"Sparkling" Green Pool Water

Postby Jeff Miami » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 10:06

18,000 Gallon, Saline Pool, No Heater installed.

Pool Chemistry was WNL with test strips and standard dilution tests. Also supplemented with a CYA melamine visual test which agreed with test strips and indicated CYA < 20 PPM.

Added 4 lbs of Suncoast Stabilzer/Conditioner to pool in the evening. The following morning, pool water had turned light green. No indication of algae in pool or in filter after backwash.

Retested water, and then had sampled checked at pool store. Pool store readings as follows.

TChlorine 5
FChlorine 5
CChlorine 0
pH 8
TAlk 120
Calcium 240
CYA 90
TDA 4600
Copper 0
Salt 3200 (Generator reads 2900)

I've never trusted the pool store, and my strips read T/F Chlorine closer to 4, pH 7.8, CYA 50. A manual melamine test for CYA reads 35-40 PPM.

Any ideas on why this happened? Have searched older posts, and don't believe it is algae, and there is no copper in the water.

Thanks

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Thu 08 Jan, 2009 15:14

I read somewhere recently about a bad batch of CYA that colored the pool water. I can't seem to find this and I don't remember where I read it. Sorry.

Re: "Sparkling" Green Pool Water

Postby Guest » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:20

There may have been some free copper in the water, but with a FCl level of 4-5, the copper may have oxidized and caused the discoloration.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”