Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Crimson
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Black mold on pavers around pool?

Postby Crimson » Sat 23 May, 2009 17:33

I got what looks like black mold (Could be dirt, but just had the pool drained and refilled - It was a forclosure house with a pool that was sitting for over a year) on the paver bricks around my pool. I'd like to kill it if it is not just dirt. What would be the recommended method of doing this? I thought about putting some bleach in a spray bottle and hitting it. Its on the bricks surrounding the pool but not in the pool (Yet, want to make sure it doesn't make the move).

What would be the recommended bleach (10%) to water ratio to hit it with if I am spraying it directly on the surface?

Mold Expert

Postby Mold Expert » Mon 22 Nov, 2010 15:30

A 10% bleach & water solution should work. If you want to buy Microban Disinfectant Mold Killer you will be using an EPA registered antimicrobial mold killer that will prevent it from growing back. For more information on Mold Removal, Mold Remediation, Mold Testing, Mold Inspection, Mold Abatement, Mold Cleanup in New Jersey.
cboogie

Postby cboogie » Mon 14 Feb, 2011 02:53

Get a bucket fill it half way up with water. Then add half chlorine (2parts CHL to 1part H2O). Poor bucket of chlorine based water on the black mold area. Then brush area with nylon pool brush. Go over the mold area like three or four times. It should come out no problem. I get this all the time on my customers pool decks. Especially on the Decko Seal area. I run a pool service in California and it works great for my customers.
gruffybear

Postby gruffybear » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 07:57

chlorine (CL) is a pale green very toxic gas. I assume you mean bleach?

I have used straight concentrated bleach and it apparently does nothing. (although I assume the mold has been killed)

The only thing that actually removed it was power washing.
poolboy911

Postby poolboy911 » Mon 03 Oct, 2011 09:16

Try a dilute acid solution - it does the trick every time :thumbup:
Charlie_009
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Charlie_009 » Sun 12 Jan, 2014 23:43

Mold near wet area like pools and beaches is common. You need to take proper care of swimming pools that are personal to you. When I bought my current home, provider of Hermosa Beach real estate inspection services educated me about mold inspection and it's removal method. I am following those tips and I have never faced mold issues in my house.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: Black mold on pavers around pool?

Postby paulbest » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 04:47

Clean away any dislodged particles before applying some concentrated algaecide, in accordance with the instructions of course, to the same affected areas and leave it in place over night. This is a better option than using bleach, which fails to kill off mold spores at source. The next day, scrub the spots a second time and repeat the process of vacuuming the resultant particles to the waste. If black mold remains, repeat this process.

Depending on the extent of the problem, you may find that even if you get rid of the black mold you will still be left with stains. If this is the case, put a chlorine tablet into an old sock or small drawstring bag along with a few rocks and place this onto the spots where the mold has been cleaned from. Leave it in place for as long as the instructions provide and scrub at the spots once they have done their work.

Turn the pump back on and test the water to determine the pH balance and the chlorine level. The best way to stop the problem returning is to maintain the correct chemical balance in your pool.
andersenmiller
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby andersenmiller » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:26

Crimson wrote:I got what looks like black mold (Could be dirt, but just had the pool drained and refilled - It was a forclosure house with a pool that was sitting for over a year) on the paver bricks around my pool. I'd like to kill it if it is not just dirt. What would be the recommended method of doing this? I thought about putting some bleach in a spray bottle and hitting it. Its on the bricks surrounding the pool but not in the pool (Yet, want to make sure it doesn't make the move).

What would be the recommended bleach (10%) to water ratio to hit it with if I am spraying it directly on the surface?

Hi Buddy,

Since your pavers were installed over an existing deck, the first thing we recommend is to make sure all the water drains off your deck. Use a garden hose to "flush out" the decorative drain that takes water from your deck to the outside yard.

The mold is caused by either poor drainage, a constantly moist area, an area that doesn't get enough sunlight or a combination of all of the above. The remedy is to try to correct the drainage, eliminating the excessive moisture in that area of your deck. You can also prefer to hire mold assessment professionals to make sure everything is okay.

"Household bleach can be used to clean the mold from your deck sand," says Andre Carvalho, owner of Yellow Brick Road Co. in Orlando.

Test the bleach on a small area before proceeding with a full-blown assault on the mold. Don't use muriatic acid; this liquid is too strong and could damage the pavers, Carvalho warns. Follow the manufacturer's instructions on using bleach. Wear old clothing and make sure to protect your eyes and face.

If you choose, you can use a pressure washer (3,600 psi) with a wide-tip adapter; however, don't place the tip close to the top of the deck. Use the pressure washer to loosen and remove the moldy sand, and send it off the deck (out the door in a screened pool, off the deck on an unscreened pool).
ashcroftashby
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby ashcroftashby » Sat 09 Sep, 2017 00:14

For killing mold with bleach use a ratio of one cup of bleach per gallon of water (ie about 1 part bleach to 10 parts water), and also apply the solution to non-porous surfaces with mold growth either by using a spray bottle or by using a bucket and a sponge or cloth.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”