ring around pool

Stains on the pool surfaces, pool equipment
or on the swimmers, or off-color swimming pool
water. Discolored but clear pool water.
Gov

ring around pool

Postby Gov » Sun 29 May, 2005 18:40

Hi- My pool is only one year old.
It is above teh ground with a vinyl liner...
I have a grayish ring all around my pool at the water level.
It devloped last year and I just open my pool.
Before I filled it up, I tried scrubbing it with a mild detergent & a scrub brush.
It didn't help.
Any suggestions on what caused this & how to get ridd of the ring?
Thanks!!

susan

gray line around water level

Postby susan » Tue 07 Jun, 2005 08:03

we have the same problem this year in our inground pool. Never
have had it before. Don't know what causes it, but I did find
out how to remove the line. Mr Clean puts out a little sponge
called the "eraser" I used it and it came right off! If you find out
what causes it please let me know thanks:)
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

gray line around water level

Postby Gov » Wed 08 Jun, 2005 16:43

Do you have a liner in your pool?
I was wondering if this would hurt the liner?
Thanks!
Jeremiah

Brownish/Gray Ring

Postby Jeremiah » Mon 13 Jun, 2005 11:03

If you have a brownish Ring around your pool and you are on well water you most likely have iron in your water and the appropriate descaler should work. If you are city water the same thing could occur though it is much less likely. I'd try taking a sample to your pool store and specifically ask them to test the iron content. If it isn't iron then your guess is as good as mine :)
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Brownish/Gray Ring

Postby Gov » Tue 28 Jun, 2005 19:07

I use granular chlorine with stabilizer daily and add maintance algaecide & clearifier once a week.

Do you think any of this could be causing my problems?
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Brownish/Gray Ring

Postby Gov » Sun 03 Jul, 2005 18:49

I fixed it!!!

I went to a different pool store and they gave my Pool tile & vinyl cleaner...it's made by Sun.

I poured it on a scrub brush and worked my way around the pool, scrubbing and adding more of the solution...

It didn't seem to work at first but within a half hour the ring was gone!!!
Gov
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Brownish/Gray Ring

Postby Gov » Tue 09 Aug, 2005 19:54

I take it back, it did not fix my problem, still looks the same.

I just tried washing it with straight liquid chlorine on a rag, thats what the pool store suggested but still looks :( the same.

Any other suggestions?
JUSTGREATPOOLS

RING

Postby JUSTGREATPOOLS » Thu 25 Aug, 2005 16:30

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE OIL AND SCUM BUILD UP FROM SOAPS LOTIONS AND SUN TAN OILS. JACKS MAJIC HAS AN OIL AND SCUM REMOVER YOU CAN ADD TO YOUR WATER THAT WILL TAKE IT OUT.YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET IT AT YOUR POOL STORE OR YOU CAN FIND IT ONLINE.

Postby Guest » Sun 25 Sep, 2005 15:08

I use "Grease Lightning" and a soft scrub brush - dark ring comes right off. After I tried everything else...
moneypit

ring around pool

Postby moneypit » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 19:05

I also have a black grey ring around my always clean inground pool, I noted that I also had brown stains appearing on the surrounding concret and coping. Surrounding my pool I have 100' cedars droping cones all over, I think the stain started in late June with the polon, this year the polon was enormous and my ring around the pool stated with a more yellow ring. how to get rid of it: test a small area and see if the stain lifts with a paste of cushed vitimin c tablets, if it can, then go to your pool supplier they have the stuff that can remove it. If not your like me totally stumped. Using a Mr Clean abrasive sponge is not an option unless you want to damage the liner. :crazy:
jetb

ring around pool

Postby jetb » Wed 15 May, 2013 14:36

It's build up of suntan and sunscreen lotions.
paulbest
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Re: ring around pool

Postby paulbest » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 08:01

Vinyl pool liners are less prone to stains than plaster pools, but they can occur. Metal stains, chemical stains and organic stains can occur on the vinyl or on plastic steps or ladders.

Metal Stains - Iron, Copper, Manganese can come out of solution if your pool water has high levels of metals. Heavy doses of copper algaecide can lead to a blue-green staining of pool liners.

Chemical Stains - Bleaching can be caused by corrosive granular pool chemicals laying directly on the surface. Chemicals such as pool shock, pH down, calcium increaser or chlorine tablets, can fade a liner and cause it to pucker. This is not really a 'stain', and unfortunately, although a light brown chemical stain will fade, the bleaching or puckering of the vinyl cannot be reversed.

Organic Stains - Leaves and twigs, acorns, berries. Worms or other dead animals. Bacteria and algae. Pollen and pollution. Your open pool absorbs and absorbs all sorts of organic matter every day. Cleaning, sanitation and filtration keep it under control, usually. Organic liner stains are often removable easily.

how to prevent these stains? simply by keeping your pool water chemistry balanced and the pool clean to maintain your pool stain free. moreover, To control pool stains from metals and minerals, use Jack’s Magic Purple Stuff or MetalFree.

These stain prevention pool chemicals control pool staining by making it difficult for minerals in the water to precipitate out of solution, where it can stain your vinyl liner, steps or ladders.

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”