water. Discolored but clear pool water.
cheribrady
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 56000 gallons in ground vinyl liner, sand filter
Well water (has iron)

Stained liner help!

Postby cheribrady » Sun 12 Jul, 2009 10:28

We have a 36,000 gallon inground pool with a vinyl liner and a sand filter. We also have well water with a high concentration of iron. We opened our pool late due to bad weather and had a lot of dead leaves etc in the pool. We have heavily chlorinated etc. The water's nice and clear. The liner is stained! We think it is rust. We cleaned the top of the liner yesterday with Iron Out that I use in the house. Worked Great on the water line stain and the fixtures that are above the water. We also took scotchbrite scrubbies and was able to scrub some of the rust off below the water line on the pool. Can I just dump a bunch of iron out in the pool? Think that would get rid of the rust stains? We have tried mineral out we've used three bottles at different times but never two bottles together.

Any help at all would be appreciated.
PS:
My husband is the chemical expert but I'm pretty sure most levels are normal.
Thanks!

Dsobotta

Stained liner help!

Postby Dsobotta » Thu 30 Jul, 2009 19:52

i HAD THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM THIS YEAR.. YES, YOU CAN USE IRON OUT IT DOES A WONDERFULL JOB AND AT HALF THE PRICE OF THE STUFF THE POOL STORE WILL SELL YOU, BUT YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO BUY POOL MAGNET TO GET RID OF THE IRON FROM THE WATER TO THE FILTER... IT'S DECEAVING, STAINS ARE GONE BUT NOT THE IRON FOR AT LEAST A WEEK..IT TAKES A WHILE TO FILTER IT TO THE FILTERS AND THEN OUT OF THE POOL.. IF YOU USE THE SAME WATER TRY AND RUN IT FROM THE HOUSE IF YOU HAVE A FILTER FOR THE HOME IT WILL CUT DOWN ON THIS PROBLEM. YOU WILL TOTALLY DEPLEAT THE CLORINE FROM THE POOL, DO-NOT ADD ANY FOR AT LEAST A WEEK AND THEN ADD IT SLOWLY OTHERWISE THE IRON THAT IS LEFT BEHIND WILL AGAIN ATTACK THE LINER.. GOODLUCK P.S. JUST POUR THE IRON OUT ALONG THE OUTER EDGES ALL THE WAY AROUND THE POOL AND THEN WALK AWAY BY MORNING ALL THE STAINS SHOULD BE GONE. IF YOU NEED MORE HELP YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT Dsobotta@comcast.net
cheribrady
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 56000 gallons in ground vinyl liner, sand filter
Well water (has iron)

Stained liner help!

Postby cheribrady » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 04:34

Thanks! We will try it! I also bought 3 pounds of vitamin c powder and dumped that it. It did a pretty good job but there's still iron stains on the sides of the pool and I think the vitamin C burned our eyes!

Return to “Pool Surface Staining & Discolored Pool Water”