Hydrostatic plug left out by mistake

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
sohungry
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: -35k Plaster-coated gunite (not painted)
-Partially above-ground; built into a deck
-DE filter (Pentair FNS Plus 60 Sq Ft)

Hydrostatic plug left out by mistake

Postby sohungry » Tue 14 Nov, 2017 15:57

During a pool replastering this Spring, the hydrostatic relief plug was removed, but never replaced. I didn't notice this until now, when getting ready to winterize the pool. There did not appear to be any kind of leakage over the Summer, but it IS possible there was a slow leak...however, now I'm wondering how important it is to replace the plug? Will there be a leak throughout the winter? Is there anything in that hydrostatic hole that would be at risk if it froze?

The reason I ask, instead of just doing it, is that the water is ICE COLD, and it would be VERY difficult to get underwater to do the replacement...and I'm not trying to rent a drysuit or a diver!

Thanks in advance for advice...really hoping this is not a major issue!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Hydrostatic plug left out by mistake

Postby Teapot » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 05:07

Hi sohungry,
It would be incredibly unlikely for anything to achieve a frozen state that deep so no damage should happen. The valve itself is designed to allow water build up under the pool shell to escape into the pool rather than lifting the shell out of the ground.
It should not have a plug in it, just the spring non return valve, unless I misunderstand you?
sohungry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sohungry » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 14:01

Right, yes, the valve...I've seen it referred to as a plug or valve, but yes I think "valve" is a more accurate term, probably.

So, realistically, at this point there is just a hole in the bottom of my pool, that empties into a sand/gravel pit? I don't know why it wasn't draining out over the summer, I guess the groundwater had just hit an equilibrium?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 16:46

Maybe, if you have a high water table. One of my customers opened their pool spring before last to the most disgusting smell and sight because of high water over the winter. Hope you are luckier. What you need is a women to put the valve in for you, they can do this because they are better at pain having gone through childbirth, oh and they don't have testicles! :lol:
sohungry
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby sohungry » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 17:13

Great advice; I'll just go ahead and explain that to my wife, and then get back and update you after the divorce proceedings :wink:

So, you're saying it isn't NECESSARY to replace the valve, but it is a good idea?

The one part I left out, because I wasn't sure yet (and I'm still not)...I had to lower my water level prior to winterization so an electrician could come and finish up an incomplete light installation. Now, as I'm trying to raise my water level with my hose, it isn't rising nearly as fast as I expected it to, and for that reason I suspect there may be a leak, and I think that this valve is the most likely culprit. I'm no hydrophysicist, so I don't know why there would be no leak (or negligible leak, I guess) when the pool was full, but is now gushing out inches at a time...unless the water is pouring out the bottom, going straight into the water table, straight into the well, and then cycling straight back out the hose!

I left the water on all day while I was at work, and I'll check it in a few hours when I get home, and I'll be able to make a better assessment I HOPE!

Thanks, Teapot, for your patience and advice!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 15 Nov, 2017 18:20

No problem, just explain to your wife this guy suggested that you go in the pool, in the interests of science you understand..........let me know the rest LOL
On a serious note: Be interested to see how you get on with the pool.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 16 Nov, 2017 14:33

Water seeks it's own level, so once you have equal water in the pool and water table there will be no movement
When they replastered was water coming into the pool from the hydrostatic relief valve if so they may have plugged it
I would be inclined to drain down to a wader level, replace the valve if possible and hold it down with a weight with a rope on it to pull it off when you have sufficient pool pressure to hold it in place

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”