pool help please

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: w cooper sand filter 2115 with a 1hp haywood pump 30 ft above ground

pool help please

Postby crabbjames11 » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 12:19

Hello i have been having a hard time with my pool. We just bought a house and i have been working on it for a few weeks now. I have bought new pump and filter. I have opened the sand filter and checked hub and laterals. No cracks nothing loose or broken. I have replaced sand and also checked for leaks i cant find anything wrong but something is not right. When i first turn it on it seems to be working great after about a hour or so water pressure out of jet is real weak. I have backed washed i have rechecked fittings. If i put the setting on recirculate it does great. Just on filter setting is what is giving me trouble. Could i not have enough sand in it? Am i over looking a leak? What level is about half way of skimmer box up. Please anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: pool help please

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 17:09

crabbjames11 wrote:Hello i have been having a hard time with my pool. We just bought a house and i have been working on it for a few weeks now. I have bought new pump and filter. I have opened the sand filter and checked hub and laterals. No cracks nothing loose or broken. I have replaced sand and also checked for leaks i cant find anything wrong but something is not right. When i first turn it on it seems to be working great after about a hour or so water pressure out of jet is real weak. I have backed washed i have rechecked fittings. If i put the setting on recirculate it does great. Just on filter setting is what is giving me trouble. Could i not have enough sand in it? Am i over looking a leak? What level is about half way of skimmer box up. Please anyone help!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't make multiple posts as it can confuse. I have already answered two. Just reply with your numbers to one of them and we will go from there
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 07:41

Sorry as i didn't know which categories to post it in. The water isn't green or murky or anything like that i have drained and scrubbed the whole pool and refilled with fresh water. The problem i am having is which my pressure out of my jet. I have a above ground pool. It has a hayward pump and filter. The HAYWARD POWERFLO LX 1 HP... The sand filter is a w cooper 2115. I do only have 150 out of the 200 pd of sand. I wouldn't think that would cause low jets but i am no pro by any means. I am as of now replacing all of the suction side hoses fitting and i have re grease the filter lid gasket. Am i doing the right thing by replacing all suction lines? They were old and some had some little slit in them. I did take a incense and went around to see if the slit was sucking in smoke. I didn't see anything. Water goes into my skimmer box down a 1.5 male fitting thru the hose into filter on pump up hose out of pump into muti-valve thru sand and out into pool. It only has to travel maybe 3or4 feet as my setup is close to pool. I do have picture if that will help. attachment are posted. Those are the old one as i am now working on replacing the suction lines!!!!! I don't have any water info other than ph level which when i checked last night it was showing 7.0 to 7.1!!! the small slits was in the hose coming from the skimmer box close to the ball valve in picture 2. I have checked and don't see anything clogged or leaking but i would think suction side i would at least see air in the filter top but i see nothing. i am also changing the fitting from top of pump to sand filter maybe the leak is after the pump itself. We just bought this house and this is the first pool we have ever owned!!!
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-06-08-16-52-46[1].png
Screenshot_2018-06-08-16-53-15[1].png
Screenshot_2018-06-08-16-54-47[1].png
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 12:37

If you had a suction side air leak then it would collect in your pump basket although splits in the suction line would definately suck in air. I would also check all the other suction side connections. See what happens when you replace them
The fact that you have less than the recommended sand will only mean that it may not be filtering as well
When you use recirculate there is minimum load on the system and the water flows more easily
Seeing as you have fresh sand and have drained down and backwashed frequently I do strongly suspect that the problem is with your suction lines and not a blocked filter with algae
Please do get your own test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100) to keep your water balanced. It will pay for itself by not purchasing various chemicals from pool stores
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

You don't mention how you chlorinate? You can use pucks until you have sufficient CYA in your pool but then go over to liquid chlorine
pH is a bit low try to aerate to raise it to about 7.4
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 14:18

What does the pressure gauge read?
That is spec'd as a 21" filter and 1 HP pump allegedly flowing 44 gallons per minute. If it actually did that the filtration would not be as good but there is some obsession with big juicy pumps and smaller filters that I guess is hard to shift.
Slower filtration gives far better results filtration wise. I survey each of my customers pools before I do anything else and I can state the flow people expect from the pump plate is no where near what they actually get but that doesn'y matter much if the number of bathers is low. I your case I suspect the pressure in the filter pushes the sand into a tightly packed lump after an hour and thus the flow reduces a bit. On recirculate you bypass the sand so of course you get a bigger flow. What is really needed in pool setups are flow meters, pressure doesn't matter much as long as there is sufficient to make the system operate.

Look at my pool information roughly 12,000 US gallons, 24" sand filter and only 0.08 HP been working like that for the last 5-6 years and the water is perfect, it cost so little to run it's not worth mentioning. The pool turns over 4x in 24 hours and the pressure gauge reads about 1- 1.5 PSI with a decent flow rate.
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 07:38

Idk!!! I did get everything replaced. No more suction leaks. first it was doing same thing. i notice on pump filter there was bubbles in it so i keep turn it on and off to prime it till there was no more bubbles in it.It is doing better. Now it starts not so strong and seems to keep it up. It is not fixed because it will weaken. takes now about several hours. I think the teapot member is on to something here. I was wondering if i put pea gravel into the bottom of sand filter if that would help with the flow. I can see that it is prob packing it to tight. Which is restricting water flow. If that doesn't work what can i do??? Get smaller pump put pump farther away from filter? Thank y'all so much for the reply!!!!!!!!
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 08:35

o yeah i am using the pucks as of now to chlorinate.I have raised the Ph to 7.4. I do run the filter. Every 5 hours or so i turn it off and just give it about 30-1hour then run it again for another. My psi shows 15-17 Steady.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 14:07

crabbjames11 wrote:my psi shows 15-17 Steady.

Then the flow you have is the flow you have and so is the electricity bill. If you reduced the pump speed you'll save a lot of money but won't reduce the flow very much but the pressure, which is just friction that you don't want is unnecessary. You probably won't be able to run as low as I can because my setup was specifically designed to run at the lowest possible. It really doesn't take much flow to keep the pool in excellent condition, it surprises me with the cost of electricity why more people don't do it but it is slowly happening with variable speed pumps. Slower filtration is better filtration.
Now go off and enjoy your pool :D :D
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 07:58

Teapot wrote:

enjoy your pool :D :D
Hey this maybe a dumb question. I was out in the pool yesterday. Is it possible to have to big of a jet hole? I think my suction side is small hoses than my pressure side.It could be just age and looks bigger but only slightly. The others hoses are new. Which the only hose i haven't replaced is the pressure side. If i put my finger on the jet housing and say cover half of it when the water pressure it at its lowest, I can get it to charge back up in a sense. It will then blow out better than if i just let it flow. So i was wondering if i got a small jet outlet if i could help build up better pressure? What i don't understand still is how my gauge can stay at 15-17 psi the whole time, It can be just flowing great or barely flowing and it just sits at 15-17psi???? Wondering if my gauge isn't accurate?
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:00

Teapot wrote:

enjoy your pool :D :D
Hey this maybe a dumb question. I was out in the pool yesterday. Is it possible to have to big of a jet hole? I think my suction side is small hoses than my pressure side.It could be just age and looks bigger but only slightly. The others hoses are new. Which the only hose i haven't replaced is the pressure side. If i put my finger on the jet housing and say cover half of it when the water pressure it at its lowest, I can get it to charge back up in a sense. It will then blow out better than if i just let it flow. So i was wondering if i got a small jet outlet if i could help build up better pressure? What i don't understand still is how my gauge can stay at 15-17 psi the whole time, It can be just flowing great or barely flowing and it just sits at 15-17psi???? Wondering if my gauge isn't accurate?
crabbjames11
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby crabbjames11 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 08:05

Sorry for the double post!!!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 12:22

I don't consider it a dumb question. My view is you can have a big flow through a large hole or you can have a smaller flow but at a higher speed through smaller hole, which one is correct? My view is you want the best flow you can get as that is what puts water through the filter not the speed. If you only have the one return hole then that will restrict flow but with a standard setup if the flow isn't under some kind of restriction then you can get cavitation in the pump that will wear it out. With mine I have balanced everything so the total of all the returns is equal to the area of the pipework, with my variable speed pump I can wind down the power to run at the most efficient speed to get 4 water turnovers in 24 hours and that will use less electricity than your setup uses in 2 hours. Yes I would have used pea gravel over the laterals as sand can get in and clog the slots up.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”