WINTER COVER QUESTION - ABOVE GROUND

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
the duck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' above ground

WINTER COVER QUESTION - ABOVE GROUND

Postby the duck » Sat 09 Oct, 2021 14:26

Hello,
I am covering my 24' above ground pool for the first time, using a winter cover. I have two winter covers, one is made for a 24' pool (28' actual diameter), and the other is made for a 28' pool (31' actual diameter). Is it beneficial to use the larger cover in order to secure it better and keep it from getting pulled into the pool? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Thanks for your time,
Matt

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: WINTER COVER QUESTION - ABOVE GROUND

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 10 Oct, 2021 09:47

Whichever fits the best, consider using pool pillows to support the winter cover.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
the duck
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby the duck » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 12:12

Thanks - yes, I do have several air pillows to use as well. This may sound dumb, but do you slide them under after the cover is already on? Thanks again!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 12 Oct, 2021 06:11

Hahaha, any way you can LoL not the easiest things to work with! Looking to get a single tube one made 24ft long and gerting inflatable boat makers to quote for it.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
the duck
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby the duck » Tue 12 Oct, 2021 11:36

Good idea! I ended up tying 3 pillows together at the corner, then tying them off to the side of the pool so they're roughly centered, then pulled the cover on. It's hard to imagine how the whole top doesn't fill with rain water, snow, and snow melt without constant pumping... Any suggestions for a good winter pump for the top cover? Thanks!
MKoresh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' x 33' Oval shaped AG pool. Aqua-Systems pump and 24"Ø sand filter.

Postby MKoresh » Thu 04 Nov, 2021 11:27

I too have the same question about the cover getting filled with rain/snow/ice throughout the winter. It is my first winter with my new pool and I'm concerned that the cover will fill with water from snowfall and then re-freeze. I won't be able to pump it out of there. I have two pillows under the cover but these just seem to separate the collected water into different smaller pools, making it even harder to remove said water... I have a nice submersible pump that I can use to suck water off the cover but not if the water freezes. Or if the hose coming off the pump freezes.

Am I doing this wrong? Or does everyone struggle with this?

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”