Green on Opening

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Gingie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 80 X 20 inground / bromine

Green on Opening

Postby Gingie » Tue 07 Jun, 2022 14:54

Hi All,

After 8 years, I'm finally turning to online experts for some advice. We are in Canada and every year that we have the pool opened, it's always a chase to get rid of the green. We just got it opened today and it's the same deal. It has a lot to do with the fact that our pool is surrounded by trees that drop all their leaves in the fall and we try to keep on top of it but alot will fall through the mesh of the cover and we get what we see today.

We've tried many different methods in the past but end up spending lots of $$ and time on trying to clear it up. What I want to do is backwash while vacuuming in order to get the big stuff out but as soon as we stir anything up in the pool, it clouds up and we can't see the bottom. So, my question for the group is, do we wait until it's fully clear before we tackle the first real vacuum? The company that opens it does the initial shock as well and then sends us the chem numbers which my husband is great for taking care of ONCE the pool is not green anymore.

So, in a nutshell, has anyone been through this and now has some good experience tips on how to make this process quicker and less expensive because I feel like we just still don't know.

TIA!
H.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Green on Opening

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 10 Jun, 2022 10:22

Welcome! We have all been through it and as a retired Pro alot more often.
Yes vacuum out what you can of the worst, dont worry about stirring it up but do move slowly to minimise it. Vacuum to waste for the worst of it but put in the hose to top up whilst you work as you'll lower the water level very quickly. Worth putting a cotton towel in your skimmer badket to catch the worst of whats suspended in the water once you have stirred it up a bit.
How do you test your water, dip strips are near useless, buying your on test kit will empower you to take ownership and save you a fortune. Please post yoir water test results and we will pick up from there.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”