Submersible? Winter water getting high

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Wed 25 Jan, 2023 12:14

My pool guy suggested maybe putting a sump pump on the top step. I dropped the water really low, but I think the pool is nearly filled to the tile already. Not good with potential freezes coming.

Any suggestions for submersibles to put on the top step?

mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Submersible? Winter water getting high

Postby mknmike » Wed 25 Jan, 2023 12:23

So choosing a pump to buy (perhaps usable for other things too??) and putting it on top of something to assure I don’t stain the pool sounds like a good idea.

Of course there’s also the option of using something other than a submersible too.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/wiki/in ... ible_Pumps
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 15:17

Your pool guy should have suggested fitting the overflow from the skimmer to a drain path.
Sadly not all pool guys are created equal.
No pump, no electrical connection.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Thu 26 Jan, 2023 15:39

Teapot1 wrote:Your pool guy should have suggested fitting the overflow from the skimmer to a drain path.

“Overflow from skimmer” to a drain path? I have no idea what an “overflow from skimmer” is or how my pool guy could have possibly configured it to a drain path. It sounds ideal if you can have any water that reaches the tile level to drain via gravity, but the skimmer is next to a small garden that is below everything around it including the pool, driveway, garage, and raised garden. Maybe trenching out the nature garden to get to a drain near the house would be ideal.

Teapot1 wrote:Sadly not all pool guys are created equal.
No pump, no electrical connection.

I guess you are a pool guy that thinks he’s better than others. :smileyface:
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 00:53

Don't be ridiculous, I know I am better because I do the job properly. I understand more about the chemistry, I understand more about the hydraulic circuit and filtration but also running pools with a 90% saving in electricity.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Fri 27 Jan, 2023 09:26

So it sounds like you are trying to say there’s a method by which my pool can be drained with gravity to assure that my ~60 year old pool is not going to pop tiles during the winter, and it’s a better way than just dropping a submersible in to drain the pool if the water level gets too high?

There is a gravity drain that’s about 1/4-1/3 the way up the tile, but that’s too high in my opinion.

Also, to have water and or ice at the level where the skimmer can collect water, wouldn’t I risk at least popping the tiles at the bottom of the skimmer inlet?

If I was going to design a gravity drain for the pool, I personally would put it lower than the skimmer in my pool. I think it would require a lot of digging too.

My pool guy has charged me less than $1000 in the two years I’ve owned a pool. He’s offere to rebuild the deck of the pool, but it doesn’t seem necessary to me. Does that make my pool guy not as good as you? His family has been doing this business for longer than I’ve been alive. I believe he knows what he’s doing, even if he’s not as good as you.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”