Cleaning a pool that has not been cleaned in 1 year

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Leroy

Cleaning a pool that has not been cleaned in 1 year

Postby Leroy » Fri 03 Jun, 2005 15:04

Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to clean a pool that has been sitting for a year and has not been cleaned, or been taken care of. It is an above ground dough boy pool that is at a house I'm moving to. I know it needs to be drained but what recommendation’s does :oops: anyone suggest after that to make to pool in working condition. How long will it take so we can swim? Can I get in the black water to scrub the liner or should I use a pole? I'm new to owning a pool

cheri

Re: Cleaning a pool that has not been cleaned in 1 year

Postby cheri » Tue 14 Jun, 2005 20:57

Leroy wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best way to clean a pool that has been sitting for a year and has not been cleaned, or been taken care of. It is an above ground dough boy pool that is at a house I'm moving to. I know it needs to be drained but what recommendation’s does :oops: anyone suggest after that to make to pool in working condition. How long will it take so we can swim? Can I get in the black water to scrub the liner or should I use a pole? I'm new to owning a pool

We just opened our pool that is 27 ft. in diameter and it is also a Doughboy. We did not open our pool last year so you may be experiencing what we did. I recommend that you not drain the pool because you may need to replace the liner if you do that. The pool should only be half full anyway. Just start filling the pool with your hose to bring the water level up to about half way up your skimmer opening. Make sure you have a good vacuum and start vacuuming. Go to your local pool store and buy several gallons of liquid chlorine or you can buy the powder shock treatment to give the water a boost. Buy test strips and start testing the water every day. If needed, take a water sample to your local pool store. It took us about two weeks of putting in chemicals and vacuuming, but now we have sparkling clear water. It's hard to believe, but you can get it clear again if you work at it. Two years ago we had a green pool with a severe algae problem. We never drained the pool and it finally got back to normal with lots of work. Good luck and I hope my hints from experience will help you out. :roll:

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”