Can I open this pool or do I need to drain it?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Tboz
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' above ground

Postby Tboz » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 18:10

We have an 24' round above ground pool. We closed it correctly last year, but lost the cover during the first winter ice storm. Now i have a nasty yellow green water with lots of floaties including a squirel i think. Is it safe to clean this water up or do we need to drain it? We have no idea how to drain it? I need a very inexpensive solution since we are on a very tight budget this year. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

pirateslovebacon
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18K gal, SWG, PebbleTec, solar & gas heat, Intelliflo VSD, Pentair cartridge, Jandy AquaLinks control system. Pool Pal for Android.

Postby pirateslovebacon » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 21:04

I'm no expert, but I always see "Don't drain the pool!" as a response to these types of messages.

Think about it, where does your drinking/bath water come from? Is there some pure oasis in nature that supplies potable water? Nope. It's all treated. It comes from the land where animals die, and defecate, and all kinds of algae and bacteria get mixed in.

I bought a foreclosure with a green swamp. It cleaned up perfectly. I only grew one extra toe :mrgreen:

Just learn your chemistry (it's not complicated). Google "Pool school". Use the "pool calculator" to simplify your life.
Poonamdpi
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Can I open this pool or do I need to drain it?

Postby Poonamdpi » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:36

Hello,

According to me, You should use liquid chlorine or algaecide to remove the nasty yellow-green water. It cleaned your swimming pool perfectly. No, need to drain the water from the pool.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Can I open this pool or do I need to drain it?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 24 Jun, 2017 06:44

Poonamdpi wrote:Hello,

According to me, You should use liquid chlorine or algaecide to remove the nasty yellow-green water. It cleaned your swimming pool perfectly. No, need to drain the water from the pool.

Algaecide is not the answer and can cause more problems especially if it has copper in it
Liquid chlorine is the way to go and Slam with reference to your Chlorine / CYA Chart

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”