Closing Pool with bottom drain

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
toddrich
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground fiberglass 12x24 3ft to 6 ft

Closing Pool with bottom drain

Postby toddrich » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 09:03

I've read a lot on closing and understand it all. I know to lower the water below the skimmer and blow it out and plug it and drain the filter.
I have one question my bottom drains have a cover on them so I'm not sure how to plug them or if I really need to.
I assume I can get the cover off somehow but haven't tried as I don't want to mess something up. Plus now the water is cold.
I read one forum that said to blow air into the lines until you see bubbles blowing out of the bottom drains for about 30 seconds then quickly close the valve.
Will this keep enough water out of my lines to prevent freeze damage? It seems like a waste of money to pay to have it done if that's all they are going to do.
The pool was installed late last year and I didn't see it being closed by the installer but I don't remember plugs being on the bottom drains.
I may pay to have it done this year and just watch closely.
We are in Ky so winters can be down to the single digits sometimes.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Closing Pool with bottom drain

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 27 Sep, 2016 12:13

I don't winterize as my pool is covered and we don't tend to get the extreme weather that you do and if it is freezing we leave the heater and pump on 24/7
Is the pool likely to freeze where the main drain is then you would be better pouring antifreeze down the pipe
However I think you have it covered so long as you bottom drain has a valve that you can shut when you have blown out most of the water
Also make sure you are drained down below your returns and blown out. Also put a plastic bottle with some stones in to hold it down in the skimmer just in case if fills with rain and freezes
toddrich
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby toddrich » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:27

The valve to close the bottom of the pool drain I refer to is at the sandfilter/pump.
There would really be no way to get antifreeze in it after I have blown it out (the bottom of pool drain).
I guess I'm going to take the hit and have the pool company come out and close it and watch them real good.
I know it's probably a waste but I'll consider it an expensive class on how to close my pool.

Thanks for your response
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:16

Post your experience back here so that others can benefit from your knowledge and don't forget to ask the closer questions so you know the reasons why
toddrich
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby toddrich » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 11:21

The pool guy cleaned the pool, poured chlorine shock, algae preventer and antifreeze into the pool while running. Then......
Lowered the water to a point just under my water input ports and skimmer.

Unscrewed the water input ports and blew out the water from the sand filter side put covers on them put in small amount of antifreeze, closed valve.

Blew air through the skimmer pipe from the sand filter, closed valve then place a bottle shaped thing (one brand calls this a Gizmo) into the skimmer to allow for expansion and contraction. I guess from any rainwater/snow that might collect in it, it crushes in before the water can expand out cracking the skimmer.

Blew air through the bottom drain line from the sand filter and closed the valve. Opened it briefly to put in anti freeze then blew more air through, shut it again.
Unscrewed all plugs on the filter and pump.

I could have done all of this I suppose but I didn't even know I had screw on covers for my input ports or the skimmer Gizmo.
They were in a small wicker table we have, the top opens to a small storage area. I guess I haven't looked in there all summer.

Does it sound like he did this right?? I guess it worked last year.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 04:05

That seems OK to me except putting antifreeze in the pool while still full and running
You should be OK to do it yourself next year
marvinwalters
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby marvinwalters » Thu 30 Mar, 2017 00:16

You can install a pool fence for added safety.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”