air in water coming into the pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
wilbanks51
I'm new here
I'm new here

air in water coming into the pool

Postby wilbanks51 » Tue 16 May, 2017 09:27

I opened the pool 2 days ago and have air coming out of the water that goes into the pool. I have checked pipes and equipment and cannot find any water leaks. It is an above ground 16 X 32 and 4 feet deep. It has good pressure coming out of the hole, but one thing I noticed is that the guage doesn't register any pressure. It usually read about 10.

thanks,
STeve

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: air in water coming into the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 16 May, 2017 10:04

You have a suction side air leak and you won't see much if any water leak (this is indicated by air in the pump skimmer basket)
Check your union joints and pump skimmer basket "O" ring first
If you have no pressure reading and a good water flow back into the pool your gauge is probably broken
wilbanks51
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby wilbanks51 » Wed 17 May, 2017 09:51

Does the air in the water coming out hurt anything?

thanks
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 17 May, 2017 10:28

A little air is no problem. Other than aerating and causing your pH to rise
A lot of air can cause the pump to lose prime, when that happens and the pump is left running without water the pump could be damaged.
If this is only happening when vacuuming, check that the water is still coming out of the returns if not it's lost prime and running dry (bad)
You should be able to check the suction side for air leaks as you have an above ground pool, how is it plumbed? if flexible try immersing the pipe in water to see if the air stops

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”