failed to blow out lines last winter

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
dorshah1
I'm new here
I'm new here

failed to blow out lines last winter

Postby dorshah1 » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 20:49

I failed to properly blow out the lines last winter.
History I bought the house in spring of 2015. Opened the pool after memorial day to discover the previous owner failed to disclose the skimmer lines and return on one side were busted. I called the pool company they replaced the pump which was also broken and they suggested to run the pool with the lines on that side plugged since it was late to repair. I did that. pool ran fine all summer. I closed the pool and sucked water out of the skimmers with a shop vac. I also put antifreeze in the skimmer lines and gizmos. I had the damaged line repaired this spring and opened the pool and used it all summer so far so good except I noticed the new skimmer line has more suction than the other side.

I just read some instructions on closing the pool and low and behold realized my mistake last winter. My question is did I screw up the plumbing and have a broken pipe somewhere?

Water level was not an issue this season. I have had air bubbles on both sides.

Is it possible I l got lucky and the pipes didn't freeze that time?

The line replacement on the one side was my pool budget for awhile and I am really stressed.

dorshah1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: failed to blow out lines last winter

Postby dorshah1 » Sat 16 Sep, 2017 20:51

So the pool is a vinyl lined pool. Two skimmers two jets and a main drain
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:35

I would suspect that if you had a frozen pipe and it split you would have had a water leak. How low is it? as here in the UK we reckon that 2.5 feet is below the frost level here
The reason why the new skimmer has more suction could be down to a few things. Less resistance (larger pipe, shorter run)
You could valve the new run and restrict it a bit to balance it out
What do you mean by "I have had air bubbles on both sides." If these are from your returns, you may have a suction side leak.
Do you get air in your pump basket?
dorshah1
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dorshah1 » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 14:09

The water hasn't lowered significantly all season. I just have the air bubbles in the water from both return jets. Yes there is air bubbles in the pump basket. The pump was new last summer. I meant I have air on both sides of the pool in the return jest. I am not sure if the lines froze and cracked or not. I am just wondering if they did now that the season is over and I have discovered the right way to close it versus what I did last year.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 17 Sep, 2017 16:19

You have a suction side air leak check your pump basket lid O ring and lubricate it with silicon grease also the drain plugs on the pump. Failing that it could be a leak in your skimmers and main drain line
If you have valves on the skimmers and main drain, you could try running one at a time to determine where the air leak is
If you haven't had any leak all summer I think you are good

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”