Adding water with cover still on?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Judy

Adding water with cover still on?

Postby Judy » Tue 24 Apr, 2007 08:30

Hi.
We are first-time pool owners. We moved in our house in October, after our pool was already closed. I would like to start the process of opening my pool, and I'm wondering if it's ok to add water while the cover is still on. I'm not sure when I'm going to get to take the cover off & clean it and everything, but I'd like the water level to be ready. We have well water and very low pressure, so I know it's going to take a long time to get it up to the right level.
Thank you in advance for any help!!!
~Judy

dogette
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Adding water with cover still on?

Postby dogette » Wed 25 Apr, 2007 06:40

Hi Judy....Though it sounds like a good idea (if you are definately out of the freezing zone)..I think I would wait until your ready to start the pump /filter and start cleaning the pool. Since you have well water, the last thing you want to do is put a bunch of hard chemicals in the water and let them sit untreated especially if you have a lot of iron in your water. Since I have a plaster pool, Im always worring about what can stain the white plaster. Im hoping too the previous owners did properly close the pool and had balanced the water prior to closing.

This is just my opinion, Im not an expert by any means. Hopefully more people will start replying to our posts now that the weather is starting to warm up and everyone is thinking of opening their pools. I have found this web site has a lot of good advise.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”