Mild weather maintenance

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
cap10gus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt Water, 18,000 gal. Pentair system.

Mild weather maintenance

Postby cap10gus » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 09:00

I have a Salt Water pool in central Texas. Throughout the winter the water temperature was in the low 50's to upper 40's, I didnt winterize the pool except for freeze mode which activates the pumps when the air temperature is 35 degrees or less. I had been maintaining the pH and chlorine levels based on the pool store water analysis. In hindsight, i am questioning the addition of chlorine since the SWG doesnt run when the water temp is in the 50's indicating the pool didnt need the chlorine maintained in cool weather.

This morning i tested and chlorine was very low and pH was very high. Water temp is now 62. The water is still crystal clear. The SWG is now running and salt level is 2600.

I bumped the SWG from 25% to 33%. Days have started warming to 70's causing trees and plants to bloom. However, this being Texas, we are expecting a freeze later this week.

Im looking for opinions on how critical the chemical balance is when the pool water temp is low 60's or less.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Mild weather maintenance

Postby Teapot » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 13:41

Do you have cya stabiliser in the water?
The addition of chlorine is a good idea especially above 50f
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Mild weather maintenance

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 16:35

The fact that the SWCG doesn't work in cold weather is nothing to do with how high your chlorine should be (they just don't work)
Also get your own FAS/DPD test kit as pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate
Is your salt level of 2600 adequate

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”