Closing Above ground pool with a slow leak.

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
nelsonatc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27' Round Hayward AG, 48" average depth. 15,400 gal
Filter: Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S180T92S
Pump: Century SP1510 1hp

Closing Above ground pool with a slow leak.

Postby nelsonatc » Sat 07 Sep, 2019 20:51

I live in Rhode Island, and the temperatures are starting to drop, past the point where the kids and I no longer have any interest in swimming for the season.

So, my focus is now shifting toward winterizing and closing the pool for the season.

A little backstory: I bought this house in January, with a 1-2 year old 27 foot round above ground pool.

Since early summer, I’ve been chasing a very slow leak in the pool, which is costing me approximately 2 inches of water per week. It doesn’t sound like a lot, and it sounds like evaporation, but I can definitively see a A wet area at the bottom edge of the pool where the water is leaking.

I’ve done everything I could to try and isolate the leak, going in with dye a number of times, to see if I can figure it out, to no avail.

There are indentations in the ground around the outside of the pool in spots, where it seems like there is water leakage, but I cannot find a hole anywhere. These are significant enough where it has me feeling like I need to drain the pool in the spring, fix the ground underneath, and replace the liner

With that said, it’s time to winterize the pool. My fear is that all the water may drain out over the course of the off-season, and leave the pool susceptible to damage. But, I really don’t have much of a choice, other than continuously filling the pool over the course of the winter, which could cost almost as much as buying a new pool itself.

So with that said, I don’t really feel like there is a need to truly winterize the pool, as I’m going to be dumping whatever water is left in it next spring, in order to do the repairs, and properly install a liner. I do plan on properly winterizing the filtration system.

The reason for my post is I wanted to see if I was missing something here, or I potentially had any other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27' Round Hayward AG, 48" average depth. 15,400 gal
Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter
Hayward 1hp Pump

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”