Partial/Sunbelt Pool Closing Questions

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
maw9110
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 20,000 gallon rectangle vinyl liner pool with sand filter

Partial/Sunbelt Pool Closing Questions

Postby maw9110 » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:07

Hello all!

I have read some different ways people partially close their pools when in the sunbelt areas. For reference, I am in Southern Tennessee where freezing temperatures usually only occur over night or a few days at most. A week would be extreme. This makes me think a partial closing is the way to go. Last year was my first winter closing with the pool and I paid a local pool service to do it since we were in the process of moving into this home. These are the steps I believe they did that I will repeat this year, but any added advice or suggested steps would be helpful!

1) Vacuum, Skim, Brush
1) Drained all pool equipment (Pump and Filter plugs). My sand filter is level with the pool.
2) Added a winterization chemical kit for my 20k sized pool.
3) Kept water at operating level and added gizmo to skimmer basket. (This is where I see different ways)
4) Covered pool.

They did not use any plugs for return lines so I don't believe they blew them out. I'm not sure if an anti-freeze was used also.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

maw9110
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Partial/Sunbelt Pool Closing Questions

Postby maw9110 » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:16

Add: Also the multiport valve was set to winterization mode which for me is leaving the handle between filter and rinse.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 27 Sep, 2019 11:26

To be honest I wouldn't winterise at all in your location. Just run your equipment when you expect a freeze or fit a frost thermostat to your pump. As you say it very seldom falls to freezing
maw9110
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby maw9110 » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 14:45

Denniswiseman wrote:To be honest I wouldn't winterise at all in your location. Just run your equipment when you expect a freeze or fit a frost thermostat to your pump. As you say it very seldom falls to freezing

I'd still like to cover because of my neighbors massive oak that sits above the pool. What used a closing kit, covered my pool, left everything else as is. And in the rare few nights the temperature drops I run the equipment with cover on? Or if I am going to cover would my approach mentioned above be better off?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 18 Oct, 2019 15:32

Covering your pool is a good thing as it keeps all the debris out and you shouldn't have such a bad time in the spring
Where I am in the UK I never winterize and if it's freezing I just run the pump
I might add that my pool has a retractable cover and I heat it with an air source heat pump all year

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”