Close for winter without blowing out lines??

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
mdpetron
I'm new here
I'm new here

Close for winter without blowing out lines??

Postby mdpetron » Mon 11 Oct, 2021 09:44

Hi all,

I've been a pool owner in MA for almost 20 years and have been opening/closing my own pool for quite a while. We just had our pool refurbished; so all new lines, new pump, new filter, new decking. We no longer have a main drain at the bottom. We have two skimmers, 3 returns, and an overflow drain. I had the company that rebuilt the pool close the pool at the same time they drilled the anchors for the cover.

The guy who built the pool closed it and he told me that they did NOT blow out the lines when they closed it. He said the new piping combined with the overflow drain meant that I didn't need to blow anything out. The new pipes can handle the water expansion when it freezes without bursting. Needless to say, this makes me insanely nervous. He obviously knows his business a lot better than I do, but has anyone else ever hear of closing a pool in a cold region without blowing out the lines? I feel like I will open the pool in the spring and it will be destroyed the first year it's open. :shock:

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Mike

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Close for winter without blowing out lines??

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 12 Oct, 2021 02:40

Unless it can be proven that the pipework can withstand freezing without splitting, then go with your gut reaction to blow them out
BTW they don't always know there business and opinions vary with so called experts
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Close for winter without blowing out lines??

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 12 Oct, 2021 06:14

Seconded!
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”