Green pool & sand filter - first step?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Green pool & sand filter - first step?

Postby AussieSwimmer » Tue 15 Mar, 2022 16:41

Hello all,

I am new to sand filters. I am in charge of an apx 15,000 gal outdoor pool that is densely green (Atlantic region of the US, so we're slowly starting to exit a harsh winter here). The pool is coupled to a Hayward S220T sand filter, and Hayward Aquarite AQR3 chlorinator. The pool was winterized by a company, and I have found the fittings bagged and left in the pump strainer basket.

Once fittings are returned to operating locations, would the first step be to circulate water thru sand filter, and leave the chlorinator offline? Or should I attack the water with chemicals first, and focus on vacuuming out what I can? I can visualize that pumping the water thru the filter in it's current state is going to quickly clog the filter, and that frequent cleanings will be required. On the other hand, material removed from the circulating water is that which doesn't need to be consuming chemicals.

Thanks in advance! - G.

24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Green pool & sand filter - first step?

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 16 Mar, 2022 01:06

Add liquid chlorine first but test the pH of the water and the cyanuric acid (CYA) but not with dip strips and see where those are. You want to see the green turn to blue/grey (a sign of dead algae) the chlorine will get used up pretty quickly killing the algae so you'll have to add more after a few hours. I would start with 5 gallons.
Yes the filter will get a bit clogged so just backwash when the pressure rises by 6 psi or so. Remember to use the rinse after backwashing before going back into filtration.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
AussieSwimmer
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, no history, aprox 24,000 gallons, with Merlin vinyl liner. Taylor TF100 test kit.

Re: Green pool & sand filter - one other issue

Postby AussieSwimmer » Wed 16 Mar, 2022 09:28

Good morning Teapot1, and thanks much - this is great.

I have 2 additional things to mention....

1. The pool care team hired last summer overdosed the pool with salt. Is a salt pen the right independent tool for checking for current levels? (I think they got an erroneous reading from the Hayward chlorinator while replacing the salt cell - seems like a bit of a rookie mistake for a pro to make??). Is it important to establish correct salt ppm prior to getting treatment underway? Or can that parameter be handled once the killing-and-filtering is largely done?

2. With the initial shocking, I would of course want to keep the chlorinator inactive. Is it as simple as keeping the controller setting on zero? I don't see anything specific to this scenario in the Hayward manual.

In appreciation - Grant.
24,000 gal in-ground pool.
Ongoing restoration work (previously abandoned)
Taylor TF100 test kit
Silver Spring, MD
USA

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”