Help needed... closing pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Tas199
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 INGROUND VINYL LINER POOL, DE FILTER, CONCRETE SURROUNDING,

Help needed... closing pool

Postby Tas199 » Mon 17 Oct, 2022 09:03

It's been a 2 year battle - but I've finally gotten a new liner installed 10/10/2022. Originally had a problem with losing water 2 years ago, when figured out - it was the skimmer line to filter leaking. Took very long to have it fixed (covid and all).. finally that was fixed in the spring, the company had 50% payment for the fix, and installing a new liner (had several issues and needed to be replaced)..
Now -- it is October in the northeast (delaware), and I want to have a new safety cover installed, we previously used tarps or plastic sheeting. I will also need a new filter in the spring, no point in replacing now.
My question is - since it will be 6-8 weeks for the new cover to arrive and be installed, do I just blow the lines and 'close' the pool without a cover? or do I keep filtering and maybe put a leaf cover on for the next several weeks until the new safety cover is available/installed.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Help needed... closing pool

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 17 Oct, 2022 11:36

Keep filtering for a few hours with a leaf cover on.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby mknmike » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 11:24

I’m also in Delaware and in need of closing my pool. I bought a solar cover this fall to see if it would also help with leaves to minimize my work required to keep the pool clean until I get it closed. It’s definitely helping, but the more I mess with it, the more work I create for myself.

Olympic Pool is who I have used in Northern Delaware I’d you happen to also be up this way. They closed my pool last year in about an hour. I may try to do it myself this year and have Mike inspect it for me after I’m done. He’s a friend I went to high school with and is t exactly looking to increase his business, but knows his stuff. Sum-R-Fun has also been a great resource.

I think we’ve got a few more weeks before we need to worry about any freezing here, and one way we can help assure that doesn’t turn into an issue would be to run the pump at the coldest hours of the day.

I believe I was told that the longer you keep your pool “open” before closing, the easier it is to open it in the spring. I think we closed it last year at the end of October and the water has raised up to nearly the perfect level so I barely needed to add any water when opening this spring, which was my first spring owning the pool.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 11:33

"I believe I was told that the longer you keep your pool “open” before closing, the easier it is to open it in the spring".
Not really true, the cleaner you put the pool away for whenever you close with a decent light excluding winter cover the easier it will be to open. Lowering phosphates is a good idea if you can but if like some you have higher levels it would take too long and cost too much.
I put my pool away in September and often dont open it until early July and its never green just some dust and dirt that finds its way in. 48 hours and its ready to swim.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”