Help needed... closing pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Tas199
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x40 INGROUND VINYL LINER POOL, DE FILTER, CONCRETE SURROUNDING,

Help needed... closing pool

Postby Tas199 » Mon 17 Oct, 2022 11:11

I have an almost 30 year old inground 20x40 vinyl liner pool. 2 years ago - found that I was losing water; found and patched hole in liner; during winter, more lost water, opened for summer of 21, and found that I now had a crack in skimmer line to pool pump/filter and additional hole in liner. Contracted to have skimmer line replaced, and liner replaced. Covid and issues with pool company delayed everything to this year. Finally in April, they fixed the line, and the liner was backordered; when it finally arrived, pool company had staffing issues, and could not complete liner until just last week. So.. now I finally started the pump/filter for the first time in 2 years and find a crack in pipe for filter. It's almost 30 years old, knew it would need to be replaced soon.. I am now having to close the pool. Have ordered a new safety cover which will not arrive for 6-8 weeks.
Questions:
how should I close pool in meantime - blow the lines and leave pool to sit til new cover arrives? OR

Continue to filter as I can until new cover arrives?

mknmike
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Help needed... closing pool

Postby mknmike » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 11:27

I believe this is a duplicate, but I’d probably wait it out until the cover arrives. The risk is that something comes up in life that prevents you from being able to close it later when it really needs to be closed to prevent freezing.

Northern Delaware?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Help needed... closing pool

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 02 Nov, 2022 11:35

Please only post once, it gets confusing and annoying with 2 threads on the same topic
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”