cya won't come up

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
cowboymommy
I'm new here
I'm new here

cya won't come up

Postby cowboymommy » Wed 19 Apr, 2023 09:11

Hello! I am trying to figure out why I am having issues this year bringing up my CYA. We have about a 13,000 gallon shotcrete pool with pebbletec. I added a 4 pound bag of CYA in my skimmers about 5 days ago like I do at the beginning of each pool season. I have been testing it daily with test strips (yes, I know not the preferable method but I have two different kinds of strips and it is all I have on hand right now). Both brands of test strips are showing the CYA to be basically 0. So of course my pool won't hold any chlorine since there is basically no CYA. I am trying to understand what could be the reason it isn't holding CYA? I used the granular form and it was all dissolved within a day. Would appreciate anyone who can help!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: cya won't come up

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 19 Apr, 2023 11:30

Get a complete numbers test from a pool store, at least you will have a betteridea
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 19 Apr, 2023 13:40

It hasn't totally dissolved and takes longer than a week normally. I suggest a test in another weeks time and as Dennis said with a proper test not dip strips which are not good but awful for CYA.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
cowboymommy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby cowboymommy » Thu 20 Apr, 2023 14:49

its not in the skimmer baskets, so if it is not dissolved, where else would it be? It has been about a week now. I have heard so much negative too about taking your sample to the pool store. That is why I posted here!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 21 Apr, 2023 05:24

cowboymommy wrote:its not in the skimmer baskets, so if it is not dissolved, where else would it be? It has been about a week now. I have heard so much negative too about taking your sample to the pool store. That is why I posted here!

It will be in the filter, best is to hang in a sock over a return
Your own proper FAS / DPD test kit is best but a pool store is better than dip strips
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 21 Apr, 2023 08:13

A lot of pool shops using the LaMotte spin test these days too. Take a test but dont take their advice! Nice to turn the tables on the pool shops for a change.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”