Water on Pool Cover

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
amajidi
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Water on Pool Cover

Postby amajidi » Wed 26 Apr, 2023 14:59

Hi all,

I have a ~20x40 Inground pool covered w/ a pool cover and water bags. There is a significant amount of water and leaves. I do not plan to open the pool until next month. I am in Massachusetts. I had lowered the water prior to closing and had a leak that the pool company addressed prior to closing. Should I remove the water from on top of the pool cover w/ the leaves prior to next month and just refill the water in preparation or is it better to leave the water on top until im ready? The pool company told me that a pool cover w/ water is better for the pool. They also told me last year to put the water from on top into the pool, but I don't know if that is a good idea. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Water on Pool Cover

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 26 Apr, 2023 16:16

Remove as much of the leaves/debris as possible. Also shock the pool for a day or two before removing the cover.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Paul Land
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 18' Round Pentair dynamo pool filter 1st stage Hayward EC50 D.E. 2nd stage. 48vDC Solar/Battery@120v 50% pool pump power.

Re: Water on Pool Cover

Postby Paul Land » Wed 26 Apr, 2023 16:22

yowzah, What doesn't come off top goes in pool. Mo work!

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”