what is winterizing?

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

what is winterizing?

Postby jillsinspain » Thu 06 Sep, 2007 09:36

I am in southern Spain with a painted polyester ( glass fibre ) lined pool. Winter night time temperatures are regularly below freezing and I currently place a lump of wood to float in the pool and cover it. Is there something else I should be doing.....what IS winterizing?

Litoq

Postby Litoq » Fri 07 Sep, 2007 10:40

Hmmm...that's wierd. I lived in Rota (Southern Spain) for 4 years and it never got below freezing at any time of the year. Of course that was many years ago...this global warming thing is something else!!

What is the lump of wood for? I'm thinking you are using it like a balloon but if the water freezes, the wood would be frozen in the water. It won't prevent the water from freezing.
jillsinspain
I'm new here
I'm new here

what is winterizing?

Postby jillsinspain » Tue 11 Sep, 2007 07:29

Thanks for the reply Litoq.....maybe the mountains didnt exsist that number of years ago. Can anyone tell me what winterizing the pool is?
Curt
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

winterizing

Postby Curt » Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:53

Is blowing the water from the filtration lines, plugging the returns and skimmers, stowing the pump indoors and covering the pool. Winterizing is merely removing the water from anything that may break from expansion of freezing water

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”