Advice on winterizing multiple infloor returns

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
soccer_bloccer

Advice on winterizing multiple infloor returns

Postby soccer_bloccer » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 15:21

I have pool with six in-floor returns from the main pump, two returns in the shallow end, two at medium depth and two in deep end. When trying to blow out the lines I can only get air to bubble out of two of the six returns-- the two in the shallow end. Have used a shop vac and an air compressor. Any advice? Is this enough of an air lock? or do I need to see bubbles out of all six? I'm located in PA. Thanks.

Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Wed 07 Nov, 2007 11:01

Sorry not to sure about your system, but, are the lines not going to fill straight back up with water, as soon as you turn your vac/blower off?
soccer_bloccer

Postby soccer_bloccer » Wed 07 Nov, 2007 20:46

Sorry that wasn't clear. No the lines won't just re-fill. There is a valve at the pump which when closed prevents the lines from filling back up. So after purging with air, I just close the valve and it creates an airlock. The issue is that no matter how much airflow I put through the pipe as soon as the air finds the path of least resistance it just bubbles out of those two returns in the shallow end, and I cannot get any bubbles out of the other returns. But they are under 4- 6 feet of water. Is this oK? of do I really need to get the pipes emptied?
Ickle
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Ickle » Mon 12 Nov, 2007 08:36

I would have said that would be fine, i dont imagine that you would have any problems with pipes freezing at that depth.
Is your plant above or below pool water level? If above water level then the water will obivously drain back towards the pool.
the pipes under ground should stay at a constant and above freezing due to earth temperatures, and so there shoulnt be any problems

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”