pool not opened or maintained for 2-3 years

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
rwb712
I'm new here
I'm new here

pool not opened or maintained for 2-3 years

Postby rwb712 » Sun 18 May, 2008 19:07

I have been asked by a friend to help with an above ground pool that has set for 2-3 years without opening or maintenance. there is about 1 1/2 feet of water, full of decaying vegetation and what is either the darkest green algae i have ever seen or black algae. the sides are covered with dead algae up to the original water line, pool was either partially drained with algae infestation and/or has evaporated down. my advice was to replace the liner. anyone think this liner might be salvageable?

Postby Guest » Fri 30 May, 2008 18:01

What do you have to lose?

Scoop the crud. Run the filter. Pour the bleach!

Oh, and post your numbers so we can help you!!! 8)
POOL USER

HELP ME PLEASE

Postby POOL USER » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 20:12

I have the same problem. Replacing the liner is definitely not an option. We got the pool filled and the water circulating. I dumped four bags of shock and a half gallon of algaecide into it yesterday. The water is now a grey color and cloudy but we are able to see down about one foot. The pool is an above ground four foot deep and holds 15000 gallons. Today I tested and my numbers are as follows

TH 250
TC 0
FC 0
PH 8.0
TA 180
ST 0

There is debris in the bottom of the pool (leaves and pine needles). I have considered using muriatic acid as the next step to help take care of the debris and adjust the alkalinity.
Does anyone have any suggestions or can you help me out with the correct amount of acid?[/b]
muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby muss08 » Mon 14 Jul, 2008 21:37

To rwb: The liner may definitely be salvageable. You should be good as long as it isnt torn or cracking anywhere. Since there is only a small amount of water in it id suggest draining then pressure washing the sides. Get all the vegetation out- refill and see if it holds water.
To pool user:
The acid isnt going to take care of the debris. You need to either vacuum that debris out or use a net to scoop as much out as possible. You need to get your pH down to 7.2 to assist in shocking the pool. Chlorine is not very effective at a pH 7.8 or above. Adding half a gallon of muriatic acid should get your pH down to about 7.2 and the TA down to about 160 which is still high but you cant get it lower at the moment without dropping the pH too mcuh. Then, before shocking get as much of that debris out as possible. If you add alot of chlorine now it will attack the debris and not algae. Once you get it out add about 2 gallons of bleach or a couple pounds of shock. A few hours later check your chlorine again. You need to get it up to 10ppm and keep it there. You are also going to need about 5lbs of stabalizer.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”