Help Needed - Real Beginner - Lacron

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
adamskiwild
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,500 gallons
in ground pool
rectangle in shape with steps to one side, apart from steps uniform depth
LxWxD(m) = 8.4 x 4.4 x 1.4
Lacron sand filter LSR 24 M
Gas heater

Postby adamskiwild » Tue 26 May, 2009 16:47

Hi,

I am really new to pool maintenance. I used some pool guys to close the pool last year just after buying the house. Nice guys but obviously cost money and I find when I don't do the work I don't learn anything.

My pool:
14,500 gallons in rectangle outdoor pool in ground and tiled
Completely green at the moment, tested at ZERO Chlorine and 7.4 Ph

I have a Lacron LSR 24 M sand filter that the pool guys drained last year and now I want to open the pool and attack the green. I don't know (and can't find a manual on-line) that tells me how to re-fill the filter.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
Adam

Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Wed 27 May, 2009 00:20

adamskiwild wrote:Hi,

I am really new to pool maintenance. I used some pool guys to close the pool last year just after buying the house. Nice guys but obviously cost money and I find when I don't do the work I don't learn anything.

My pool:
14,500 gallons in rectangle outdoor pool in ground and tiled
Completely green at the moment, tested at ZERO Chlorine and 7.4 Ph

I have a Lacron LSR 24 M sand filter that the pool guys drained last year and now I want to open the pool and attack the green. I don't know (and can't find a manual on-line) that tells me how to re-fill the filter.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

I see the Lacron is made in England. I've never seen one but in looking on the internet I did get some info.

You will need 125kg of 0.4-0.8mm (16/32) silica sand which is available at many builders merchants.

At the bottom of the filter there are laterals that allow the water to return to the pool after passing through the sand. Make sure they are not plugged up. To add the sand you can fill the filter about half way with water and then slowly add a bag of sand. Reach in and smooth out the sand. (you want to be careful not to damage the laterals). Once evened out, add another bag and smooth out again. Repeat with all the sand.

You of course want the filter in place before doing this as the extra weight would make it tougher to move into place.
adamskiwild
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14,500 gallons
in ground pool
rectangle in shape with steps to one side, apart from steps uniform depth
LxWxD(m) = 8.4 x 4.4 x 1.4
Lacron sand filter LSR 24 M
Gas heater

Postby adamskiwild » Fri 29 May, 2009 14:48

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I do intend to check that the sand is still in a good condition and if I need to change it then your advice will be very useful. However, the problem I have at the moment is probably more fundamental in that I don't know how to open the pool. The pool is full of water (green) but the pipes to the pump and filter are empty and the filter is empty. The pool guys used a drain plug in the bottom of the filter to empty the system of water last year but I do not know how to refill or even if I should refill. Is refilling the filter with water the right way to open the pool? How will I ensure that there is water in the pipes to the pump because presumably I can't switch on the pump until there is water there to be pumped (or will it just start to fill from the pool?

Sorry that I didn't make it clear in the first message but it really is as fundamental as "how do I open the pool after winter"?

Thanks for your help.

Adam
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Denali » Fri 29 May, 2009 23:53

adamskiwild wrote:Hi,

thanks for the advice. I do intend to check that the sand is still in a good condition and if I need to change it then your advice will be very useful. However, the problem I have at the moment is probably more fundamental in that I don't know how to open the pool. The pool is full of water (green) but the pipes to the pump and filter are empty and the filter is empty. The pool guys used a drain plug in the bottom of the filter to empty the system of water last year but I do not know how to refill or even if I should refill. Is refilling the filter with water the right way to open the pool? How will I ensure that there is water in the pipes to the pump because presumably I can't switch on the pump until there is water there to be pumped (or will it just start to fill from the pool?

Sorry that I didn't make it clear in the first message but it really is as fundamental as "how do I open the pool after winter"?

Thanks for your help.

Adam

Ok, I got ya now. You don't have to fill the filter with water. I would open up the pump and stick a garden hose in there. The water should flow backwards toward the pool filling the pipes enough to get started. If the pump fills up and overflows, stop the garden hose and close up the pump lid. Turn on the equipment, opening the air relief valve on the filter. You will hear air being pushed out of the relief valve. When water comes out of the valve, close it.

You do want to make sure none of the return lines are sealed off. It may take a couple minutes for the system to prime itself. Most pumps will handle this with no problem as long as you put water in the pump basket area to get it going.

Good luck with it.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”