Need Closing Advice for Tennessee Pool

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
jct9841
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon in ground fiberglas

Postby jct9841 » Mon 05 Oct, 2009 09:34

Hello All,

New to this group. We live in Southern Tennessee. Have an inground fiberglas pool. Previous maintenance guy has moved.

So we are closing it ourselves. From what I've read here and there is a lot of discussion on blowing out lines. Our pump assembly is uphill from the pool. Lowered the water leve below the returns. I took out all the drain plugs from the pumps, etc. I blew compressed air from the pool cleaner pump which moved a little water out of the returns.

What I'm concerned about is the water in the skimmer return line. I've tried to blow it out from both sides with a shop vac and was not able to move the water. Spoke with a lady last night who has been doing pools for 20 years in our area and she said she never does anything with the skimmer return line except screw in a gizzmo.

However I would like some other opinions on this. Read one post where a guy vacuums out as much water as possible then pours antifreeze then seals with gizzmo.

We do get below freezing temps in Winter. Any advice greatly appreciated!! John

Motts

Postby Motts » Wed 14 Oct, 2009 03:00

I would use a mild antifreeze, like what they put in a windshield washer fluid, or a pool specific antifreeze! I would not use a car radiator type, or alcohol.
RMS1
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby RMS1 » Thu 29 Oct, 2009 17:32

That right. If you cannot blow the skimmer line out, your pool store should have some anti-freeze for pools. Use a proper plug for the skimmer.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/pool- ... ation.html
jct9841
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon in ground fiberglas

Postby jct9841 » Fri 30 Oct, 2009 07:54

Thanks for the replies. I was able to get some water (don't know if I got it all by a combination of blowing it out and vacuuming) out of the skimmer line and added 1/2 gallon of anti-freeze. Hope that works.
RiverPoolsMarc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x38 Fiberglass Swimming Pool, 2 speed whisper flow pump, cartridge filter, salt chlorinator.

Postby RiverPoolsMarc » Sun 01 Nov, 2009 22:49

Just in case you hadn't seen a video on a proper fiberglass pool winterization w/ a gizzmo

Good Luck!! :thumbup:

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”