Fill for FREE!

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
Krusty

Fill for FREE!

Postby Krusty » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 10:59

OK.....I used to pay for the water to fill my pool and had no problem with it, until the utility changed the rules. They used to waive the sewage portion of the bill and charge for WATER ONLY anytime you doubled your normal usage during pool refill months ie. April, May, June. Then they began charging BOTH and stopped giving ANY kind of pool fill credit! Got real expensive.....so, because of their greed, they now get NOTHING! They now fill my pool for FREE ALL SUMMER! F***EM! Here's how: On the pipe just below your water meter, you'll find a small brass nipple. This is a bleed valve and the nipple is a screw on cap.
If you remove it, water will flow out and since its below the meter, you don't get charged. You'll have to buy $2 worth of adapters from Home Depot to tap into this free water. What I did, was get a couple feet of 1/4" hose....any type will do. After shutting off the water meter valve, you can remove the bleeder cap (cover with a towel to catch the initial spurt). Slide the hose over the threaded nipple and secure with a screw type hose clamp. You then connect this to a garden hose using a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter. You'll have to cut off the existing coupling on the garden hose, so use an old junk hose that you're not using. Then route the hose out to your pool, using whatever route is easiest. I have a basement window that works perfectly. I prefer to use garden hose instead of 1/4" all the way to the pool, since the 1/4" hose may attract questions.

You'll have to disconnect from the meter when you're through, since you can't shut off this line. I wouldn't recommend adding a shutoff on the garden hose, since the pressure buildup would likely blow the small hose/clamp off the nipple sooner or later. Besides, even garden hose shouldn't be left pressurized 24/7. Once you've made up the adapters, you can simply reconnect it when needed. I overfill and then a month later, after backwashing, kids, evaporation etc. has lowered the level to the "sucking air" point, I hook up my fill system and leave it on for 8-10 hours.

Fill for FREE!

Postby Guest » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:04

:D :D
brad s
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14,000 gal kidney
3/4 HP hayward super pump, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, Aquacomfort heat pump.

Fill for FREE!

Postby brad s » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:09

This might not work for everyone since the hook up is different for different systems. Besides, this is illegal. Not only that, its unsafe. There is no back flow preventer if you tap the line this way. Pool water from the hose can get sucked back into the main water lines.
THIS IS NOT A GOOD IDEA. PAY FOR THE WATER> YOU HAVE A POOL< AND YES< IT DOES COST MONEY!

If you cant afford it, fill it in!
Krusty

Fill for FREE!

Postby Krusty » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:15

OK....I forgot to mention that you should just leave this hose going "into" the pool but not submersed below the water line....for the reason you mentioned. As well, I made it clear not to add a shut-off to this hose since its rubber/vinyl and isn't designed to be left under pressure. And YES we all know its illegal. So is speeding, so is oral sex and charging me sewage for water that will never go down my toilet should be illegal too!
brad s
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 14,000 gal kidney
3/4 HP hayward super pump, Pentair IC-40 SWCG, Aquacomfort heat pump.

Fill for FREE!

Postby brad s » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 11:33

Its still not a good idea. The better idea is to talk to your town and go thru the proper channels, and not do something illegal like this.
poolgranny
I'm new here
I'm new here

Fill for FREE!

Postby poolgranny » Sat 17 Jul, 2010 18:01

They check our meters regularly and if they notice/see any type of tampering you are going to get a ride in a black/white patrol vehicle.

The risk would not be worth it to me. I fill mine the legal way by paying for the water used.

I agree if you can't afford the water, get rid of the pool.
Above ground pool
12,000 gallons
rcottman

Fill for FREE!

Postby rcottman » Wed 20 Jun, 2012 20:19

If you can get away with it, do it.The prices they charge for water is ridiculous. In my city, they raised the price of water per gallon and didnt tell anyone until people got their bills and were questioning why it was so high. We had someone from the city come out to inspect for water leaks, the guy immediately told us that the city raised the price of water. So get it for free for as long as you can.
Ur dumb

Fill for FREE!

Postby Ur dumb » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 14:45

Ur all dumb and should just shut the he'll up
waterBoy

Fill for FREE!

Postby waterBoy » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 11:01

Yes it's illegal. Everyone realizes that. But if you have a problem with it what brought you to this blog anyway? Do you just peruse the internet looking for issues to argue?

Thank you for the great idea.
anonymous10101

Fill for FREE!

Postby anonymous10101 » Sat 25 May, 2013 12:09

thank you for your genius help! I looked up for "fill my pool for free" and got an accurate response! :lol: :lol: :lol:

so thanks again.
poollinershq
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: having a great 40' by 16' rectangular fiberglass pool in my backyard.

Fill for FREE!

Postby poollinershq » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 23:20

I really don't think this is a good idea... I'm curious though... Since this is a post of 2009, are you still using this method to fill your pool nowadays? Or did you run into trouble doing so?
funtimeinthepool

Fill for FREE!

Postby funtimeinthepool » Thu 29 May, 2014 11:36

thanks love this idea :D :D :D :D :D

? how many yrs have u been filling your pool like this
Twolve

Re: Fill for FREE!

Postby Twolve » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 15:31

Or you drive a pipe down to the water table and connect a pump to have all the free water that you want. Cost about 30 bucks
MargaretCanipe
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is big and clean.

Re: Fill for FREE!

Postby MargaretCanipe » Wed 21 Jun, 2017 07:47

I liked the idea.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Fill for FREE

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 17 Dec, 2018 12:25

apertIdeato wrote:Question...my differential has two fill plugs, one in the normal place in the back and one on the front side of the differential??? Does anyone know what year or model this differential might be? Which fill plug should I use? I’m sure the rearend is not from a 1961 Sprite. It also has a small vent valve or something at the top of the casing.

I looked on page 41 of the latest Auguat 2015 MO Motors Catalog. My differential housing is the type “C” late Sprite and Midget thru 1500cc. I would guess, the actual differentials for all years will fit in either housing “C” or “D”. Any opinions on my reasoning?

PM

You won't get an answer here
Try a motoring forum for your vehicle

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”