New Liner Issue upon opening

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
bryant1976
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bryant1976 » Mon 10 May, 2010 07:19

Hello everyone! I'm now in my 4th season as a pool owner and am excited about this season. I decided to open my pool (in southern Ohio) yesterday (May 9th). I took off my cover (which is a black tarp like cover that shields the pool from light, leaves, water...etc)... and to our surprise there were 3 places where our newly installed vinyl pool liner had pulled from the top of the pool ring thingy...lol. This liner was installed professionally last season and had no issues, but this year is a different story. As a note, the liner is 27 mil and the water level is still below the skimmer basket (because we don't want to fill then have to take water back out). Are there any suggestions if our Pool Company doesn't want to come out and fix it for free? Thanks in advance!

Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Mon 10 May, 2010 08:34

Is the liner pulling away from the corners? Because we has another member here that described the same problem as you. See here and let me know: http://www.poolhelpforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=9468
bryant1976
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bryant1976 » Mon 10 May, 2010 09:22

Not exactly. My issue is that the pool liner is pulling down from the snap in ring...as if I have a parabola formation. I can see the actual wall of my pool. It's only about an inch to two inches but it's in 3 different places with a fourth forming. I've tried to pull up on the liner and it's so stiff and cold that I can't pull it back up to snap it in. I just called our Pool contact and they said it would be a $65 service charge to come out and fix it... although I'm rich, I don't think I should have to pay $65 being they installed it at the beginning of last year. (I'm kidding about the rich part..by the way). I'm thinking that I maybe should do this on my own with maybe a good day of sun and maybe a hair dryer to try and loosen it a bit. Yes, I know the implications of jumping in with a hair dryer, but what else is there short of draining the pool?
Xclusive
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Postby Xclusive » Mon 10 May, 2010 11:40

Bryant, if there's enough stretch left in the liner you can pull it back up for sure. As you said already the vinyl has become cold and stiff over the winter and that's probably why it's pulled away from the tracks. You won't have to drain the pool for this repair, just lower the water level slightly to give you a work area to treat the vinyl. I'm sure you have done your research already, so if you don't want to use the heat gun you should consider using the pouring of boiling water method to have it stretch out. Once its stretched enough to reach the track start snapping it in a little at a time slowly pouring more hot water over the bead. You may also need something like liner lock to help hold the liner in to place as you are doing this. Once you are done start filling and you should be set.

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”