Is it OK if my in-ground pool doesn't have a main drain valv

Tips and problems concerning filling new pools.
Spring pool opening and fall pool closing.
Seasonal pool maintenance tips & advice.
savas
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: inground 50x25

Is it OK if my in-ground pool doesn't have a main drain valv

Postby savas » Mon 01 Nov, 2010 17:19

Hi pool experts,

I'm a novice and I closed the pool to day for the first time, I used a Husky 20gallon air compressor at 15-25psi connected to the pool pump drain. everything worked fine I plugged all openings, skimmers, jets etc.
now the problem is that the air started to rise out of the main drain, but I couldn;'t find the main drain valve. I heard I am supppsed to close that main drain valve in order to create an air lock.
I don't think the pool has one (in-ground, 50x25ft, about 8ft deep, 25+ years old). I have a red valve at the suction side but whether I opened it or closed it, it didn't make any difference. The air was still blowing out the main drain.

Can I leave it the way it is (open)? I already covered the pool and removed filters and pumps
I think here in Baltimore, MD it wouldn't freeze that deep down anyways, what do you experts think?
thanks a million for your advice!

Savas

ibra0078
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Re: Is it OK if my in-ground pool doesn't have a main drain valv

Postby ibra0078 » Wed 09 Oct, 2019 11:41

I know this is an old post but what did you end of doing, I have the same issue. Thanks
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is it OK if my in-ground pool doesn't have a main drain valv

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 09 Oct, 2019 16:14

It may not freeze that deep but water will seek it's own level so every thing upto the pool level could freeze
You could fit a valve in the main drain line

Return to “Opening / Closing / Winterizing the Pool”