What could be wrong with my Cl generator

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: What could be wrong with my Cl generator

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 03:34

Dennis I have worked on a few, early on I hated the things as they gave owners problems but as time goes on they have got better but basic maintenance of any system is still needed.

Dollard your SWG should be on a bypass plumbing setup so turn off the valves before unscrewing anything.

dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 08:11

Denniswiseman wrote:Both Teapot and I don't have a SWCG but I would assume that unscrewing the plug would be correct
Check out the videos, I'm sure you will find all the answers you need
If not put in a new search about "Clean Probe on Aqua Rite"

I've yet to find a video that shows how to clean the probe but will keep looking. It seems unlikely that that would be the problem but..... I need salt test strips. I'll see if anyone sells them here.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 12:40

Hi dollard, I had to take a look on line, sorry for the bad steer, this unit doesn't have a probe it senses the conductivity of the water across the plates so they need to be clean otherwise you will get bad reporting. weak acid solution will clean the cell.
But yes get some other way of testing the salt, what do you use for testing the water?
dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Sat 18 Nov, 2017 16:26

No salt testing strips for sale here but one pool place had an electronic tester. My pool's salt level was 2,800 not 4,400 as the panel shows. So something must be wrong with the panel. So Tuesday I will send my panel off to the big city for checking. It will be gone for several days. I assume I can still run my pump and chlorine generator.
dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Sat 02 Dec, 2017 08:08

An update on my salt water pool chlorine generator system. The oldest local pool supply place thought that my control panel had been burnt out probably by a power surge. So I got a new one put in by some technical people in the nearby big city of Guadalajara. Cost 600 US dollars. Ouch! I'm afraid to connect the new panel up until I get some surge protection for it. I've asked 3 local electricians what could I use for surge for surge protection. The recommended the ISB Sola Basic Corrector de Voltaje for whole house surge protection. I've had those for years and according to local gringo "experts" they do not protect against surges. They are just voltage regulators and only make small corrections in voltage but don't protect against surges.

It is so frustrating not to be able to find local experts that are knowledgeable.
dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 16:47

I solved part of my problem with salt levels in my pool and a mystery at the same time. But now I have a new mystery.
I got a new mother board for my Aqua Rite Goldline panel. The original one was never grounded and part of it got fried probably by a power surge. My new one is grounded and has a surge protector.
When I started it up the salt reading was 2,700. I thought I would wait a day or two to let it stabilize. The pool level was getting low so I added an inch of water. The next day the salt reading was 4,200! This was the mystery. For years when I added water the salt level went down. But lately when I add water the salt level reading on the panel goes up. I took a sample of my pool water and a sample of the water coming into my property from our communal well to a pool place that has a HD Digital TDS-3 meter. My pool read 2,830 but the water from our communal well read 5,100!! So our communal well water is now very salty (or highly mineralized?).
Then I went to another pool place that had some salt testing strips-La Motte Insta-Test. The pool read about 4,000 and the communal water about 1,500. Quite different than the digital meter. But the chlorine generator is producing chlorine. I wonder if the digital meter, the salt strips, and the Aqua Rite panel are measuring different things. Minerals versus salt.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 17:04

Great news it's working! TDS is always a tricky one, it's really conductivity and that can be minerals/metals, basically any ionic dissolved part. Without other tests for metals, phosphates, etc etc difficult to say but I like the La Motte testers so great, it's sorted and the precautions you now have in place should protect it going forward. Great job.
dollard
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby dollard » Thu 14 Dec, 2017 18:34

It is still a bit of a mystery as to whether the digital meter, the salt strips, and the Aqua Rite panel are measuring different things. Minerals versus salt. I will need to do some reading.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Fri 15 Dec, 2017 04:44

I think it's great that you are looking into it. First place I would start is the manufacturers, they know exactly what they are measuring. I did similar with Palintest (UK) very insightful.
Please pop back with any information you have.
SDorsey
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby SDorsey » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 05:58

I think rather than wasting time on searching about the main cause of generator damage, you should consult a professional who has the deep knowledge about the generator and its parts. I have read an article about generator repair service who are licensed generator as well as electrical contractors provide all the repair, installation and maintenance service of generators. You can contact them anytime without any hesitation.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 25 Jan, 2018 15:26

SDorsey wrote:I think rather than wasting time on searching about the main cause of generator damage, you should consult a professional who has the deep knowledge about the generator and its parts. I have read an article about generator repair service who are licensed generator as well as electrical contractors provide all the repair, installation and maintenance service of generators. You can contact them anytime without any hesitation.

I think you should realise we are talking about a salt chlorine generator and Not an electricity generator
kevinsalyer
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 4.5mx6.7m,

Postby kevinsalyer » Mon 03 Dec, 2018 02:38

I also got same problem but there is something different. When my power light goes off my system error light comes on and when the power light is on my system error light comes on. The pool is one year old and came with purechlor chlorine generator. Cleaned the cells and filter also took connectors apart and cleaned them.

So when the system light comes on I have to go out and push the power button, is this normal will it still make chlorine when the system light is on.
katuga
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I will provide later.

Postby katuga » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 13:49

kevinsalyer wrote:I also got same problem but there is something different. When my power light goes off my system error light comes on and when the power light is on my system error light comes on. The pool is one year old and came with purechlor chlorine generator. Cleaned the cells and filter also took connectors apart and cleaned them.

So when the system light comes on I have to go out and push the power button, is this normal will it still make chlorine when the system light is on.

Wish I could help but the OP has Hayward Aquarite SWCG. You may want to open a new thread highlighting Purechlor SWCG in the title to attract more eyes from fellow Purechlor users. thank you for posting!

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”