Intellichlor IC20 or something else-HELP!

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
les.warden

Intellichlor IC20 or something else-HELP!

Postby les.warden » Fri 17 May, 2019 17:30

18,000 gal pool.
I’ve had my Pentair Intellichlor IC20 for five years and it’s worked flawlessly. Now the “check cell” light is blinking. After searching and reading, checking the cell, dosing it with muriatic acid, I’ve come to the conclusion the cell has hit its 10,000 hour lifespan and needs replaced.
Now since I bought this 5 years ago, the cell replacement is as much as I gave for the complete system back then. Prices have almost doubled in some places.

Got me to thinking if I should just buy an entirely different system instead of just the cell. Some of the complete salt chlorination systems are less than this cell itself. Some of the systems have a 7 yr warranty, whereas the IC20 is 2 yr max and mostly 6 mos. That’s 1 pool season. Most of my searches on Pentair turns up forums that are really old.

So my biggest question is what is everyone using out there?
Is the Intellichlor ICxx top of the line?

Hope to get some feedback soon as I’ve got to make a move.

TIA.
-les

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Intellichlor IC20 or something else-HELP!

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 May, 2019 00:48

7 year warranty on the unit, but how long on the cell? Some companies use thinner coatings.
What about after market cell, these are frequently less expensive.
les.warden

Postby les.warden » Sat 18 May, 2019 08:45

Teapot wrote:7 year warranty on the unit, but how long on the cell? Some companies use thinner coatings.
What about after market cell, these are frequently less expensive.

Documentation states the cell is designed for 10,000 hours of operation. Normally should be around 5 yrs or a little longer. But, I’ve read if it’s set to 100% and run for 24/7, you’ll hit the 10,000 in about 2 years.

I’ve scanned the internet and the cell itself is running $500-$700. AND, Pentair rating on Amazon has tanked for the most part. I know you can’t believe everything Amazon, but it’s alarming.

I wanted others input, but my gut feeling right now is a different system. Hard to pay for a cell when you can get an entire system for less money that includes longer warranty.

Seems these salt chlorinating systems have almost doubled in price in the last 5 years.
les.warden

Postby les.warden » Sat 18 May, 2019 19:30

So, couldn’t wait around so I ordered a Circupool SJ-40. Complete system about the price of the Pentair cell alone.
This will service a 40k gal pool, so mine should be serviced completely at half setting max.

5 yr warranty.

I’ll have some minimal plumbing to directly replace the Pentair cell.

If anyone is interested, I’ll do before and after pics and let ya know how it goes. Should have it next week.
-les
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 19 May, 2019 02:19

Sounds good, cell life can be helped by using liquid chlorine for shock rather than turning up the chlorinator.
Only two parts to a chlorinator and people do have controller failures so maybe you can advertise your old controller and a few dollars back.
Yes please come back as it could help someone else
les.warden

Postby les.warden » Sun 19 May, 2019 10:40

Teapot wrote:Sounds good, cell life can be helped by using liquid chlorine for shock rather than turning up the chlorinator.
Only two parts to a chlorinator and people do have controller failures so maybe you can advertise your old controller and a few dollars back.
Yes please come back as it could help someone else

Will do Teapot. When I joined the forum and did a search on Pentair or Intellichlor, the posts were several years old so I was unsure how relevant this Pool Help Forum was.

I’ll stay and periodically post my pool experiences for others to gain some insights.
les.warden

Postby les.warden » Sat 25 May, 2019 16:29

Followup:
Below are pictures of the before and after. Couldn’t find the correct plumbing ends from the big box stores, so I went ahead and ordered what Circupool offered. Starting out at 25% chlorine setting as a starting point.

I’ll have to say the end of the cell where the wire goes in, you have to REALLY crank it down to get it sealed. It squirted on me a couple times before I got it tight enough.

Before:
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190525/a1944494faca0d89fe8237850e884297.jpg[/img]

After:
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190525/27ae241c936392f2c7622747bf97f186.jpg[/img]
[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190525/38796d1147967737351ddaeca9f2500e.jpg[/img]
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 26 May, 2019 02:10

Nice to see the unions on it
BTW you can post images direct into your post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
You may want to shrink them a bit so they don't fill the page

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”