Intex 8110 starts up then shutsdown.

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
azhiker71

Postby azhiker71 » Fri 24 May, 2013 10:20

I have an Intex 8110 that I am trying to repair. The unit is out of warranty.

It turns on, it allows me to set the amount of operating hours. The a green comes on and stays on for a few minutes, then when it starts to produce chlorine it shuts down. No error codes, nothing. Just powers down.

When off line, no hoses connected so no water flows, it gives me the right code, low water flow.

So I wonder if anybody has had the same problem and found a fix. I tested continuity from the titanium plates to the 2 pins on the connector, the first outer plate has continuity with one pin on the connector, the second outer plate has continuity with the remaining outside plate. But the two plates in the middle have no continuity with either plate, or connector pins.

I am thinking the problem may reside with the cell. This System is about 5-6 years old. I bought a newone and is working fine, but I would like to have a spare if possible.

Thanks for your input and ideas.

RudyN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Intex ABG, 15 feet dia, 48 inch deep, with Hayward pump/filter and Intex SWG

Postby RudyN » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 16:09

azhiker71 wrote:I have an Intex 8110 that I am trying to repair. The unit is out of warranty.

It turns on, it allows me to set the amount of operating hours. The a green comes on and stays on for a few minutes, then when it starts to produce chlorine it shuts down. No error codes, nothing. Just powers down.

When off line, no hoses connected so no water flows, it gives me the right code, low water flow.

So I wonder if anybody has had the same problem and found a fix. I tested continuity from the titanium plates to the 2 pins on the connector, the first outer plate has continuity with one pin on the connector, the second outer plate has continuity with the remaining outside plate. But the two plates in the middle have no continuity with either plate, or connector pins.

I am thinking the problem may reside with the cell. This System is about 5-6 years old. I bought a newone and is working fine, but I would like to have a spare if possible.
Thanks for your input and ideas.

Go to the 'Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix' forum and you will find many ideas. I believe that you have a bad transformer, where the 18V output is not working. You might want to check this, its the two wires going to the rectifier block, marked with ~ and ~. If you can measure there around 18 volts ac, then the transformer is OK. Next, measure the output from the rectifier, marked with + and -. You should measure there about 16 volts dc.
For a bad transformer, see the comment from 'Wed 15 Aug, 2012 12:27' on the 'Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Fix' forum. If the rectifier is bad, then let me know and I might be what and where to get a replacement.
Good luck.
RudyN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Intex ABG, 15 feet dia, 48 inch deep, with Hayward pump/filter and Intex SWG

Postby RudyN » Fri 09 Aug, 2013 10:10

Probably your transformer is the problem (the big block next to the controller unit). I guess when powering up and producing chlorine, which takes quite some power (current), the transformer might shut down by means of a thermal overload protection built into the transformer after it got too hot. Did you try to touch the transformer? I guess it might be pretty hot to touch. Anyway, after a while it cools down and the thermal overload protection allows the transformer to operate again.
You are not alone, I went through three transformer in the past 6-7 years! And, Intex does not sell replacement transformers, so a new 8110 had to be purchased (what a shame)! That's what we get living in Arizona!

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”