Pentair woes

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
jbadjones
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pentair woes

Postby jbadjones » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 21:00

So, I purchased a home from family and a swimming pool was installed about 8 years ago. The pool is a saltwater setup and the IC40 has been replaced two times. I wanted to start opening the pool a couple of weeks ago, turn the pump on and water starts shooting out of the IC40 unit!

Pricing a replacement cell tells me I'm about to be out $550. I'm not too impressed with how long these things are holding up seeing as how this would be the third cell in an 8 year span. That seems ridiculous! What are some other options? Are there even any other options? I'm a total newbie to swimming pools so any help is greatly appreciated!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pentair woes

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 20 Mar, 2017 17:12

What is the size of your pool it is generally recommended that you use as large as possible to save wear and runtime
A 100% use with long run time will wear out quicker than a 50%use at a lower run time

IC40 Cell (P/N 520555):
Designed for pools up to 40,000 U.S. gallons (150,000 liters).
The cell will produce the equivalent of 1.40 lbs. of pure chlorine per 24 hours of
continuous pool pump run time.

You could go over to bleach / liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite)

Check out these links, they will tell you how to care for your pool and what cheap chemicals to use
Pool School
Slam
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool Levels
Pool Maths

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”