SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
staypuffinpc
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20'x40'.

New chlorine generator not generating salt

Postby staypuffinpc » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 21:26

We bought a house with a good sized rectangular pool last year (~39000 gallons). I cleaned the salt cell generator a few times throughout last summer when the "inspect cell" light came on. This year it was working fine, but the inspect cell light was on for about two weeks, so I ordered a new cell. The day after I ordered it, the light went off and the old unit stopped generating salt.

The old salt chlorine generator was an Aquarite Goldline t-15. I ordered a new I ordered a CIR-T15-RC from Circupool, which arrived promptly. I replaced it and plugged it in and all seemed fine. The "no flow" light blinked for about a minute, then the "generating chlorine" light came on (I switched it to super chlorinate). But the light only stayed on for about 8 seconds. The power light has not come back on, though. I checked the diagnostic and the unit is currently putting out about 5-8 volts, but reads "0" on the amps. I called a pool repairman, who told me to check the mother board for burning. I did that and there doesn't appear to any browning on the board anywhere. I'm most worried that the unit it probably not getting power. I replaced the 20 mini ATO fuse, but still no dice. Any ideas on how to get the power light to come back on (I've already turned off and on the power several times and also held down the diagnostic button). I'm running firmware 1.58.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: New chlorine generator not generating salt

Postby Teapot » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 23:23

If it's a new unit send it back provided you have checked your salt level and that is correct
staypuffinpc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby staypuffinpc » Wed 25 Jul, 2018 23:56

The salt level is a bit high since the chlorine generator hasn’t run for about a week (3800), though it’s still within operating range. Before sending it back, I want to make sure it’s not some other part. It’s odd that the power light never turns on.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 00:56

staypuffinpc wrote:The salt level is a bit high since the chlorine generator hasn’t run for about a week (3800), though it’s still within operating range. Before sending it back, I want to make sure it’s not some other part. It’s odd that the power light never turns on.
It seems you are a bit confused, the SWCG produces chlorine not salt and its the salt level in the pool that is critical to the production of chlorine. Salt level doesn't go up unless you are adding it (liquid chlorine)
How are you checking your salt level?
Are you getting a decent flow of water?
staypuffinpc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby staypuffinpc » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 16:17

@Denniswiseman, my understanding is that the chlorine generation happens through electrolysis when an electrical current is added to the titanium-covered plates that the water passes through in the salt chlorine cell. Rather than using salt as a "fuel" that gets consumed, this just changes the chemistry, maintaining the same elements in the pool. I believe the Na and Cl eventually recombine as the free chlorine breaks down. As such, not running the chlorinator for a week would ostensibly lead to the recombination of Na and Cl, which would be indicated by a higher-than-usual salt level (because none of it is now being constantly broken down).

As for salt level not going up unless you add it, my salt level goes up all the time, which is common from what I've read of salt cell chlorine systems, and why we must regularly add muriatic acid to balance the water chemistry.

As far as flow goes, my pump works just fine and I didn't want standing water with no chlorine out of fear of creating a better environment for algae to form, so I have kept it running despite not being able to generate free chlorine.

I am checking my salt level using the aquarite control system.

If I have misunderstood how things work, please correct me. In the meantime, does anyone know why the "power" light would not go on and why I might have voltage but no amperage>
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 17:16

You are correct in the fact that your SWCG uses the salt to produce chlorine but if it isn't working the salt doesn't increase
The only reason to add muriatic acid is to lower pH and TA, salt is unaffeced by muriatic acid
The inbuilt testers in SWCG are not always accurate
I suspect that there is something wrong with your system because both of your SWCG failed can you try to get another supply to test
staypuffinpc
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby staypuffinpc » Tue 07 Aug, 2018 13:55

@Denniswiseman, sorry about the delayed reply. I was about to replace the motherboard (the main PCB) when I read about others having the exact problem where the "power" light and the "generating" light weren't working but everything else was. It ends up that's a problem with the thermistor, a $10-15 piece that can desoldered and replaced without having to replace the entire $200 board. I was able to order the piece and replace it and now everything is working again. Apparently, it's a common enough problem that many recommend getting multiple thermistors because they're likely to burn out again in a few years.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 07 Aug, 2018 14:20

Glad you could fix it and know which end of a soldering iron from the other. The amount of salt can strain the power supply either lower resistance or high, so keep that level.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”